Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gareth Gareth is offline

Default mail Merge & Excel Y or N

Hi all

I have an excel file with variosu data in, Each colum has a heading and each
candidate will either have some info in that colum (if so then the data will
be a date), if no data then it will be blank.

What I really need for my mail merge is for word to check if there is data
in the cell or not and give me a result.
For example if B3 = (blank) display in mail merge N
or if B3 = 01/09/2008, display Y

Can someone guide me through this
Thanks

PS: new user to mail merge so please be specific and think fo me as a newbie!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Let's assume the heading for column B is MyDate then

{IF {Mergefield MyDate} "" "Y" "N" }

In theory if B3 is empty then Mydate for that row should be "" hence if the
result is not equal to "" Insert Y otherwise insert N
The problem is that when merging from Excel empty date fields do not
necessarily return "". So check what the field {Mergefield MyDate} actually
returns for an 'empty' field and use that result between the quotes instead
of "".

The field brackets {} are inserted with CTRL+F9

You might find http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm useful

Gareth wrote:
Hi all

I have an excel file with variosu data in, Each colum has a heading
and each candidate will either have some info in that colum (if so
then the data will be a date), if no data then it will be blank.

What I really need for my mail merge is for word to check if there is
data in the cell or not and give me a result.
For example if B3 = (blank) display in mail merge N
or if B3 = 01/09/2008, display Y

Can someone guide me through this
Thanks

PS: new user to mail merge so please be specific and think fo me as a
newbie!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
finalword finalword is offline

You may want to do this "calculation" in Excel first and then just mailmerge
the results. In Excel it would be really easy to do with an IF formula.