Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
VickiMc VickiMc is offline

Default Field Switch displays numbers, but alpha displayed as zero

I'm merging an Excel Database and one of the fileds contains codes that can
be 4 digits or 4 letters or a combination of the two.
I have utilised the Field Switch {Mergefield Datafield \* upper} but it
produces zero's whenever the Field contains any combination containing
letters.
I've also tried some of the conditional fields suggested in other Posts,
with the same result.
Is it the way I'm holding my mouth?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. (In Word
2007 it is Office Button Word Options Advanced General Confirm file
format conversion on open). Then when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of
connection which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.

VickiMc wrote:
I'm merging an Excel Database and one of the fileds contains codes
that can be 4 digits or 4 letters or a combination of the two.
I have utilised the Field Switch {Mergefield Datafield \* upper} but
it produces zero's whenever the Field contains any combination
containing letters.
I've also tried some of the conditional fields suggested in other
Posts, with the same result.
Is it the way I'm holding my mouth?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
VickiMc VickiMc is offline

Thank You Graham this was most helpful.
I had requested this self same information previously but got frustrated
rifling through trying to find the answer.
I had rectified it in the same manner and promptly discarded the printed
information under the misguided belief that my problem was solved for all
eternity.
Am I a chump or what?
Thanks Again

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab