Jeff Hardy

Default Using checkboxes in Word 2003 to choose lines of text to include

I have a number of bulleted items that I pick and choose which to include
when I send a certain document out. So, if there are 10 bulleted items, I
might want to include 5 of them, and then have to delete the rest. I need a
way to put a checkbox next to each one, check the ones I want, and have the
others not print or email when I sent the document. Can this be done?
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jeff

Yes, you could create what is known as a UserForm (like a dialog box), and
put VBA code behind it to insert the text that corresponds to the check box
you choose. For a start on this, see
How to create a Userform
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm

If you have never used VBA, that will take quite a while, and a lot of
learning.

If you want a simpler solution, which is not quite what you had in mind, but
is easier to set up and maintain, you could use AutoTexts. For information
on using AutoTexts, see
Using AutoText
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...n/AutoText.htm

I suggest you decide on a style to use for normal text in the body of the
documents (let's assume you use the built-in Body Text style). Type out all
the items and apply the style you're going to use for this. One by one,
select each item and do Insert AutoText AutoText. Give it a name,
preferably so that the first part of the name is unique. (For example, if
the AutoTexts were about product colours, name the AutoTexts BlueProduct,
RedProduct, GreenProduct rather than ProductBlue, ProductRed, ProductGreen).

You can now insert your AutoTexts in two simple ways.

First, just start typing the name of the AutoText, and you'll see a little
tooltip thing pop up. Press Enter and the whole AutoText is inserted.
(That's why you needed the first part of the name to be unique.)

Alternatively, create yourself a menu to do it. Tools Customize. On the
Commands tab, in the Categories list, choose Insert. In the Commands list,
there are two items called AutoText. Choose the second one, with the arrow
and without an icon. Drag that to a toolbar.

Now, whenever your cursor is in a paragraph of Body Text style, that menu
will list only the AutoTexts created in that style. Click the item to insert
the text.

Alternatively alternatively, use Tools Customize to create a new toolbar
and put each AutoText on a separate button.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jeff Hardy" Jeff wrote in message
I have a number of bulleted items that I pick and choose which to include
when I send a certain document out. So, if there are 10 bulleted items, I
might want to include 5 of them, and then have to delete the rest. I need
way to put a checkbox next to each one, check the ones I want, and have
the
others not print or email when I sent the document. Can this be done?

Jeff Hardy

The link below for creating a UserForm appears to be the "tip of the
iceberg". Is there anywhere I can get more detailed information about how to
do what you describe in your first paragraph below?

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Jeff Hardy

I hear what you're saying about using Auto-text, but frankly it would be
easier and quicker to just delete the lines of text I don't want, which is
exactly what I'm trying to avoid.....