Caroline O.

Default Style names in Word 03 template change when attached to existing d

A tech. writer I work with created a template for the training guides we
develop. Why do the names of styles in this template change when I attach it
to a document I'm working on? For example, "Heading 1" changes to to "Heading
2, h2, H2". Also, Available Styles in the document lists many unwanted and
unused styles that don't appear in Available Styles for the template. This is
driving us bonkers. Why doesn't the template maintain its integrity when
attached to our documents? Thanks in advance.
Charles Kenyon

The styles in the template do not change.
When you attach a template to a document not created using the template the
styles in the template become available to the document except that styles
already in use in the document retain their definitions. You can override
this when you attach the template by checking the box to update styles. It
is not, though, a good idea to leave this box checked!

Nevertheless, Heading 1 does not change to Heading 2. If Heading 2 is
already applied to text, it will still be applied when your template is
attached, either with its original definition or with the definition in the
template.

The solution is, after you attach your template and update the styles in the
document (and then uncheck that option), you need to go through and apply
the styles you want used to the text involved. Word isn't going to figure
this out for you. If it thought it could, I promise you that you would not
like the results anyway.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Caroline O." wrote in message
A tech. writer I work with created a template for the training guides we
develop. Why do the names of styles in this template change when I attach
it
to a document I'm working on? For example, "Heading 1" changes to to
"Heading
2, h2, H2". Also, Available Styles in the document lists many unwanted
and
unused styles that don't appear in Available Styles for the template. This
is
driving us bonkers. Why doesn't the template maintain its integrity when
attached to our documents? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] frankvvvt@hotmail.com is offline

Default Style names in Word 03 template change when attached to existi

This is a bit off the subject---but I have a problem in my document where
after pasting some text from a webpage in TimesNewRoman, the doc I'm writing
has places in my own composition where it seems to have web style so that it
automatically retains the line below the text as a space [it double-spaces
the text automatically] and I can't fix it by going to Style and clicking
Normal or Clear Formatting. Any suggestions how to get the text to be
single-spaced throughout?
Thanks,
Frank

"Caroline O." wrote in message
A tech. writer I work with created a template for the training guides we
develop. Why do the names of styles in this template change when I attach
it
to a document I'm working on? For example, "Heading 1" changes to to
"Heading
2, h2, H2". Also, Available Styles in the document lists many unwanted
and
unused styles that don't appear in Available Styles for the template. This
is
driving us bonkers. Why doesn't the template maintain its integrity when
attached to our documents? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Line spacing is an attribute of the paragraph object so if you change it, it
will change the space between all lines in the paragraph.

Depending exactly upon what you are doing, the best thing might be to insert
a hard return [Enter] at the end of the first line to create two separate
paragraphs and then use the Space before or Space after attribute of the
relevant paragraph to achieve the increased space between the two paragraphs
(lines).

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.