Drewe

Default merge documents into separate booklets

I need to merge an excel document into a large (35 page) word document, but
it needs to be printed as separate booklets with the merged names. I am
printing to a photocopier that staples them, but can't distinguish between
the booklets, as it is seen as one huge document.
Daiya Mitchell

The photocopier is seeing it as a single print job--you need it to see it as
multiple print jobs.

However, when you do a data merge, a section break is placed between each
rendition of the document.

I think when someone asked this the other day, the answer was to enter "s1,
s2, s3, s4...." etc into the Print range box. This should send each section
(s1, s2) as a separate print job.

You might want to test this with a shorter document.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Drewe

I have used this feature, however, I am printing 250 booklets and this would
be very tedious and time consuming. I have searched for a macro to do this
task, but there does not appear to be one that sends each section as a
separate document to the printer. I have a way around the problem by
manually operating the printer, but would love to be able to operate Word in
the way that I believe it should.

Thanks for your help

On 9/11/05 4:09 AM, "Drewe" wrote:

I need to merge an excel document into a large (35 page) word document, but
it needs to be printed as separate booklets with the merged names. I am
printing to a photocopier that staples them, but can't distinguish between
the booklets, as it is seen as one huge document.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

By the way--this is *not* how Word "should operate". For instance, I
*never* want a section break to be treated as a separate print job. You can
ask for the option to be added, but don't hold your breath.

I suggest you also send feedback to the printer manufacturer--expensive
printers that staple, collate, etc might be able add an option to their
driver to print each section separately. Printing is a collaboration
between Word and the printer software. It's conceivable they've already
handled this, even.

However, if you search this group, I think you may find a macro that will
split each section into a separate document. You might prefer that
approach.

Or you can ask someone to help you write a macro to send each section
separately in a VBA group:

[you may need to re-wrap these URLs if they are not clickable]

If just beginning with macros, this group is for beginners:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...aspx?dg=micros
oft.public.word.vba.beginners&lang=en&cr=US

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...g=microsoft.pu
blic.word.vba.general&lang=en&cr=US

Not sure how such macros would interact with the need to tell the printer
"this is a booklet, print in such and such a way".