Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
smif smif is offline

Default Breaks lost after updating TOC in Word 2002 SP3

I'm using Word 2002 SP3. I have a TOC that spans multiple pages. I want the
first chapter to begin on a new page, so I inserted a page break after the
TOC. Problem is, after I update the TOC, the breaks are gone and the first
chapter starts on the last page of the TOC, which makes the page numbering
wrong throughout. I found something about ALT-F9 and inserting paragraphs
but I either didn't understand it or it didn't work. Can you suggest
something? Is this a known bug? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The issue here is that the page break that appears to you to be below the
TOC is actually inside the TOC field code; Word knows it doesn't belong
there, so every time you update the TOC, it removes it. If you press Alt+F9
to display the field code, you'll see that the paragraph mark that appears
to be below the TOC is actually inside the field (between the braces), so
anything you place before that paragraph mark will also be inside the field.

One way to avoid this problem is to always have at least one extra, empty
paragraph between and TOC and any other content. In this particular
instance, you could avoid the problem by formatting your chapter heading as
"Page break before" instead of inserting a manual page break.

http://word.mvps.org

"smif" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002 SP3. I have a TOC that spans multiple pages. I want
the
first chapter to begin on a new page, so I inserted a page break after the
TOC. Problem is, after I update the TOC, the breaks are gone and the
first
chapter starts on the last page of the TOC, which makes the page numbering
wrong throughout. I found something about ALT-F9 and inserting paragraphs
but I either didn't understand it or it didn't work. Can you suggest
something? Is this a known bug? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

MVP Suzanne S. Barnhill has posted this reply via NNTP (not yet visible in
the Microsoft web interface):

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP