Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hornless unicorn hornless unicorn is offline

Default Breaking down document

Is there any way to break a large document down into a lot of smaller
individual documents w/out cutting and pasting and saving into a new doc?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I could do that without pasting but I don't think you're going to be able to
do with your set of rules.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"hornless unicorn" wrote in
message ...
Is there any way to break a large document down into a lot of smaller
individual documents w/out cutting and pasting and saving into a new doc?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hornless unicorn hornless unicorn is offline

What does that even mean... Grammer?

I don't have any rules. (????) I just need to get a couple of smaller
documents out of a bigger document, and was wondering if there was some
shortcut that I didn't know about.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

I could do that without pasting but I don't think you're going to be able to
do with your set of rules.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"hornless unicorn" wrote in
message ...
Is there any way to break a large document down into a lot of smaller
individual documents w/out cutting and pasting and saving into a new doc?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Before you go away completely disappointed, you need to accept that you have
not given us enough information to work with. JoAnn suggested that if you
eliminate the possibility of copying and pasting or of saving as a new
document, then there aren't really any options open to you. Graham is
willing to help you with a macro if you will tell him how you want to split
the document: Do you want a new document to start with each Heading 1? Do
you want each document to contain x number of pages? If you don't explain
what you want to do (and possibly why), no one can help you. Certainly those
who have already tried will not be willing to try again.

"hornless unicorn" wrote in
message ...
wow. thanks.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

I could do that without pasting but I don't think you're going to be
able to do with your set of rules.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"hornless unicorn" wrote
in message ...
Is there any way to break a large document down into a lot of
smaller individual documents w/out cutting and pasting and saving
into a new doc?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hornless unicorn hornless unicorn is offline

Thank you for explaining that, I didn't understand the " I could do that
without pasting" part, got it now. I just cut and pasted everything into
smaller docs anyway...

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

I could do that without pasting but I don't think you're going to be
able to do with your set of rules.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"hornless unicorn" wrote
in message ...
Is there any way to break a large document down into a lot of
smaller individual documents w/out cutting and pasting and saving
into a new doc?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect what JoAnn was suggesting was that you can use Save As to make
numerous copies of the document and then delete the unwanted parts of each
to create smaller documents. There are pros and cons to this. If the
document is highly formatted, with headers and footers, custom styles, etc.,
you may well lose these when you paste into a new document. OTOH, deleting
parts of a document can also cause formatting problems if you don't work
carefully around any section breaks.

"hornless unicorn" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Before you go away completely disappointed, you need to accept that you

have
not given us enough information to work with. JoAnn suggested that if

you
eliminate the possibility of copying and pasting or of saving as a new
document, then there aren't really any options open to you. Graham is
willing to help you with a macro if you will tell him how you want to

split
the document: Do you want a new document to start with each Heading 1?

Do
you want each document to contain x number of pages? If you don't

explain
what you want to do (and possibly why), no one can help you. Certainly

those
who have already tried will not be willing to try again.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"hornless unicorn" wrote in
message ...