GR

Default Template Transfer

I have some custom Word templates (*.dot) I must transfer from a machine
with Office XP to a machine with Office 2003. Into what folder should I put
them?

Doug Robbins

Usually C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, but in Word, look under ToolsOptionsFile
Locations to check the location of the User templates folder and\or the
Workgroup templates folder, if it is specified and place the templates in
either of them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"GR" wrote in message
I have some custom Word templates (*.dot) I must transfer from a machine
with Office XP to a machine with Office 2003. Into what folder should I put
them?

Jay Freedman

GR wrote:
I have some custom Word templates (*.dot) I must transfer from a
machine with Office XP to a machine with Office 2003. Into what
folder should I put them?

On the machine with Office 2003, open Word. Go to Help About and click the
System Info button. Expand the icon for Office 2003 Applications, then
expand Microsoft Office Word 2003, and select the Summary icon. In the group
of items that describes Normal.dot, the "Template path" item shows the
complete path of the folder to put the templates in.

You may see advice to look in the Tools Options File Locations dialog,
but that's too narrow and will abbreviate the path with an ellipsis; then
you have to click the Modify button and look at a tree diagram to get the
full path (and remember to hit Cancel so you don't change it).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Charles Kenyon

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon