susan dew

Default i cannot protect my Outlook document; the option is shaded out.

I cannot protect the document in Outlook. the option is shaded out, I use
Word to edit my email messges.
Anne Troy

If you are talking about protecting an email message, there's no need. No
one can really change an email message after it's been received...
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"susan dew" susan wrote in message
I cannot protect the document in Outlook. the option is shaded out, I use
Word to edit my email messges.

Amedee Van Gasse

Anne Troy shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

If you are talking about protecting an email message, there's no
need. No one can really change an email message after it's been
received... *******************

Uhhh...
Yes you can. I do this all the time:
* convert from bloated html to plain text
* delete all the forwarding headers
* delete all 5 instances of 20 lines of disclaimer
and finally I move the cleaned email to my 'Important emails that I
want to keep' folder.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Treesy

So messages in my Inbox aren't emails? I am able to open an email, make
changes and when I close it by clicking the X in the upper right, it asks if
I want to save changes. I say yes and the email (or non-email) is still
located in my Inbox but looks the way I want it to. I can still forward it,
reply to it, etc. But it isn't an email? What is it?

"Anne Troy" wrote:

And it is now no longer an email message.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Anne Troy shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

If you are talking about protecting an email message, there's no
need. No one can really change an email message after it's been
received... *******************

Uhhh...
Yes you can. I do this all the time:
* convert from bloated html to plain text
* delete all the forwarding headers
* delete all 5 instances of 20 lines of disclaimer
and finally I move the cleaned email to my 'Important emails that I
want to keep' folder.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Anne Troy

Sorry. I'm going to back out of this one. Let's put it this way. The edited
email wouldn't hold up in a court of law.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Anne Troy" wrote:

And it is now no longer an email message.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Anne Troy shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

If you are talking about protecting an email message, there's no
need. No one can really change an email message after it's been
received... *******************

Uhhh...
Yes you can. I do this all the time:
* convert from bloated html to plain text
* delete all the forwarding headers
* delete all 5 instances of 20 lines of disclaimer
and finally I move the cleaned email to my 'Important emails that I
want to keep' folder.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

Anne Troy shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

Sorry. I'm going to back out of this one. Let's put it this way. The
edited email wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

Neiter would the original, because can you tell a difference between an
original email and an edited email? An email can even be changed during
transmission! Think about all the spam and virus scanners that add
their footer, or automatic disclaimers. That's the essential
uncertainty about email: you can never be 100% sure it arrives the way
you send it.

The only thing that would be foolproof is a digitally signed PDF file
in attachment.

--
Amedee Van Gasse