Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Karen Karen is offline

Default Can one automatically shrink text to fit within a fixed-size table cell, text box or frame?

Hello all!

I hope everyone is doing well on this lovely Friday.

I have a client who wishes me to create a form whereby there are
fixed-size boxes that his users can fill in with text. Instead of the
containers expanding to fit the content, he wants the content itself to
"shrink to fit" automatically. For example, if his client runs out of
space, he/she can continue typing and the font will reduce accordingly.

I've tried experimenting with form fields, tables, text boxes and
frames, and while I can get the outside border to remain static, I
can't for the life of me figure out how to have the text bcome smaller
if it runs over the space provided.

Is this possible in Word 2003?

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I know that Publisher can do that but I don't think Word can. I could very
well be wrong tho.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Karen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all!

I hope everyone is doing well on this lovely Friday.

I have a client who wishes me to create a form whereby there are
fixed-size boxes that his users can fill in with text. Instead of the
containers expanding to fit the content, he wants the content itself to
"shrink to fit" automatically. For example, if his client runs out of
space, he/she can continue typing and the font will reduce accordingly.

I've tried experimenting with form fields, tables, text boxes and
frames, and while I can get the outside border to remain static, I
can't for the life of me figure out how to have the text bcome smaller
if it runs over the space provided.

Is this possible in Word 2003?

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Use TARDIS technology!

I am unaware that you can achieve this in Word. Other than a fixed number of
characters or a fixed box size or both, I don't know of any solution in
Word.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Karen" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hello all!
:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

FWIW, I agree with the others. Even if such a feat could be accomplished
thru the use of VBA I would have serious doubts about the efficacy &
aesthetics of such a finished product - either *all* text would have to be
resized to comply with the font size required by the 'fullest' box or else
there would potentially be such a mish-mash of various sizes that the doc
could be quite difficult to read. We aren't even talking about the technical
complexity of a template, itself.

You might want to try to charmingly convince the client that this is one of
those 'outrageously brilliant concepts' which current technology simply
isn't yet prepared to handle

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Karen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all!

I hope everyone is doing well on this lovely Friday.

I have a client who wishes me to create a form whereby there are
fixed-size boxes that his users can fill in with text. Instead of the
containers expanding to fit the content, he wants the content itself to
"shrink to fit" automatically. For example, if his client runs out of
space, he/she can continue typing and the font will reduce accordingly.

I've tried experimenting with form fields, tables, text boxes and
frames, and while I can get the outside border to remain static, I
can't for the life of me figure out how to have the text bcome smaller
if it runs over the space provided.

Is this possible in Word 2003?

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Karen Karen is offline

You folks are all fantastic, thank you!

Each of you brought up some very good points, and especially the fact
that the document would be fairly ratty-looking if it did contain all
sorts of different font sizes. (I never thought of that.)

Okay, I'm going to turn on the charm now...wish me luck! LOL

Thanks again and have a great weekend everybody.

Karen

Moki Moki is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
You folks are all fantastic, thank you!

Each of you brought up some very good points, and especially the fact
that the document would be fairly ratty-looking if it did contain all
sorts of different font sizes. (I never thought of that.)

Okay, I'm going to turn on the charm now...wish me luck! LOL

Thanks again and have a great weekend everybody.

Karen
Hi all, I had the same problem, but after a bit of mucking around with text boxes and single cell tables, I figured it out. Creat a table with 1 cell, right click inside the cell, then click on Table Properties. Click on the Options button, the deselect the Wrap text box and select the Fit text box.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can one automatically shrink text to fit within a fixed-size table cell, text box or frame?

Hi Karen,

Yes, it is possible to automatically shrink text to fit within a fixed-size table cell, text box or frame in Word 2003. Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, insert a table, text box or frame into your document and adjust its size to the desired dimensions.
  2. Next, select the text inside the container that you want to shrink.
  3. Go to the "Format" menu and select "Font".
  4. In the Font dialog box, check the box next to "Shrink text on overflow".
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

Now, if the text you enter exceeds the size of the container, it will automatically shrink to fit within the available space.

Create backgrounds in a table cell. Windows XP user Page Layout 3 February 15th 06 11:45 PM
I want text from the cells in one table repeated in other tables Reg Tables 2 February 14th 06 02:53 PM
word table cell resize or word table cell size change or word table change cell size [email protected] Tables 0 January 13th 05 10:55 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 04:44 PM