Testingcase

Default Word 2003 mailmerge to HTML mail fails

Hi,

Im trying to use Word 2003 mailmerge to send HTML email, which fails. No
messages sent and nothing in "Sent items" in Outlook 2003. I do not receive
any errors.
When I select "Plain text " or "Attachment" it does work properly.

Any takers??

Graham Mayor

Currently it is not possible to mail merge html e-mails (and given that you
have no control over how e-mails are viewed it is no major handicap - use
the plain text or attachment instead).

Testingcase wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to use Word 2003 mailmerge to send HTML email, which fails.
No messages sent and nothing in "Sent items" in Outlook 2003. I do
not receive any errors.
When I select "Plain text " or "Attachment" it does work properly.

Any takers??

Testingcase

Graham,

Thanks, but now I'm totally confused!!
When I start a Word mailmerge and send the output/document to email I DO get
the option of emailing the document as HTML instead of plain text, are you
telling me that the HTML option is just not working and Microsoft left it in
to confuse us??

What do you mean with "(and given that you have no control over how e-mails
are viewed)", any email client can handle HTML isn't it?? HTML is the most
used format for newsletters.

Regards, Kees.

Testingcase wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to use Word 2003 mailmerge to send HTML email, which fails.
No messages sent and nothing in "Sent items" in Outlook 2003. I do
not receive any errors.
When I select "Plain text " or "Attachment" it does work properly.

Any takers??

Doug Robbins

What Graham meant was that you cannot control the way in which the user has
their mail program configured to display email. Many people configure it to
display email messages as Plain Text because of the possibility of an email
viewed in HTML format causing a problem with virii etc.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Testingcase wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to use Word 2003 mailmerge to send HTML email, which fails.
No messages sent and nothing in "Sent items" in Outlook 2003. I do
not receive any errors.
When I select "Plain text " or "Attachment" it does work properly.

Any takers??

Graham Mayor

Additionally, recent developments in Microsoft's Windows security measures
have made it impossible to merge to html. The confusion may be removed with
the next release of Word. In any case, for the reason I mentioned and which
Doug has reiterated, this is no bad thing. HTML e-mails are a curse.

Testingcase wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to use Word 2003 mailmerge to send HTML email, which
fails. No messages sent and nothing in "Sent items" in Outlook
2003. I do
not receive any errors.
When I select "Plain text " or "Attachment" it does work properly.

Any takers??

Testingcase

Thanks, guys for your swift answers. This means for me that I can send a
mailmerge email, with Word, but only as an attachment as I want some
formatting of the message.

Thanks again,
Kees

Testingcase wrote:
Hi,

Im trying to use Word 2003 mailmerge to send HTML email, which
fails. No messages sent and nothing in "Sent items" in Outlook
2003. I do
not receive any errors.
When I select "Plain text " or "Attachment" it does work properly.

Any takers??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TC Dr Dave TC Dr Dave is offline

Now I am totally confused. I have been merging Emails for some time now out
of Word and they have gone with no problem until just recently. (this month)
Has something changed in a service update or something?