Pop

Default Search for CAPITALIZED words?

Howdy all,

Word 2002, XP, question on searching for capitalized text in a document.

What I need to do is a Find and Replace on all capitalized text within a
document, and switch it to Bold, leaving it capitalized. There is nothing
in common with any of the words that are in caps, so there are no character
strings to search on; it'll have to be a style or font setting or??
I can find nothing that can locate non-specific text that is all
capitals. In other words, each capitalized word is different; there is no
relationship between any of the words, so there is no pattern of text to
search on; only the fact that it's body text and it's capitalized. e.g., I
might need to find /JUST, /THIS, /HOW, /WHY, ALWAYS, and so on, and change
them to Bolded characters. Usually, not always, the capitalized word will
be the first word of a sentence, but the length of the word is variable.
I've tried a lot of things including wild cards and capitalized, but to
no avail. I might be missing something silly, but if that's so, I sure
can't figure it out!

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Please make me slap my forehead and go
D'uh! g because the answer is actually obvious?

TIA,
Pop

--
Let someone else do it
I'm retired!

Jay Freedman

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:09:28 -0400, "Pop"
wrote:

[...]

I don't know how obvious it'll seem, but the answer is a wildcard
search (see http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm). The
search expression for any word (two or more letters) in all caps is

[A-Z]{2,}

The replacement expression is the code ^& which means "whatever was
found", and press Ctrl+B to format the replacement as bold.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Pop

Eureka! That turned out to be a really worthwhile question to ask! For
whatever reason, I never came across the search results for

"Find and replace text or other items"

before, and even if I had, I -still- don't see the answer to my question in
there! The "^&" is there, but not the search term you recommended. I'll
keep looking 'cause there's a mountain of good info there which is going to
be mighty useful!

YOUR response however, is right on target! I can't tell you how grateful
I am to you; you saved me a LOT of work!
From the FWIW dept, I'd also forgotten that "/" was the escape
character - nearly every capitalized word begins with it and of course it
didn't capitalize it! But that's OK; it only took one more CTRL-H to catch
those.
Gotta get some work done now, but I'll be back to check out more of your
site - KUDOS! And thanks again.

Regards,
Pop
--
Let someone else do it
I'm retired!
wrote:

[...]

How do I build a word list with number of occurrences of each wor. Bill Crowl Microsoft Word Help 2 March 19th 05 11:17 PM
Problem with search feature in word 2002 Ellen Microsoft Word Help 0 February 8th 05 09:31 PM
Word frequencies Anthea Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 04:46 AM
Word Count mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 10:17 PM
Recurring words/phrases Pegge New Users 1 December 9th 04 02:08 AM