blue heron

Default Mail merge of excel fields

Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field along with
text from other excel fields to make photo badges using Avery 5390 Name Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of the picture?
Doug Robbins

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in message
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field along with
text from other excel fields to make photo badges using Avery 5390 Name
Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of the
picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

This doesn't work for me...
Grapic files are .jpg's and saved to c:\graphics.

I have a word doc...I've added a text box over a picture, then done the
following in the text box:
Ctrl+f9 (got the braces {})
typed:
INCLUDEPICTURE "C:\\GRAPHICS\\
Ctrl+f9 (got the 2nd set of braces{})
typed:
MERGEFIELD PIC
used the right arrow to get outside of the first set of braces
typed:
..jpg"

My final statement looks like this:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "C:\\GRAPHICS\\{MERGEFIELD PIC}.JPG"}

The Pic field on my Excel mail merge record file contains just the file name
I want to bring in - WomanDLPicLg or ManDLPicLg.

When I leave the field, I can see it when I toggle the field codes on, but
when they are off I don't see the field.

I save the document, then merge to a new document and get an error:
"Word found locked fields during the update. Word cannot update locked
fields."

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks guys (and ladies)!

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in message
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field along with
text from other excel fields to make photo badges using Avery 5390 Name
Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of the
picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Don't use the text box for a start. Text boxes are in the graphics layer of
the document and merge fields within them do not work correctly.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in message
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field
along with text from other excel fields to make photo badges using
Avery 5390 Name Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of the
picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

I have other text boxes in this same document that work fine (it's how I get
the merge text to lay 'on top of' the graphic.

Do you know another way to somehow get the mail-merge graphic to lay 'on top
of' an existing graphic in the mail merge source document?

THX

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in message
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field
along with text from other excel fields to make photo badges using
Avery 5390 Name Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of the
picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The fact that you can get some text boxes to work and others not is ample
evidence that this is an unreliable way of inserting fields.
See http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm and

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in
message ...
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field
along with text from other excel fields to make photo badges using
Avery 5390 Name Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of
the picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

Those posts do not address one of the issues I'm having...the post regarding
'graphics on labels' assume you want the same image on each label. I have a
spreadsheet with links to a variety of images specific to each mail merge
record. The solution you posted isn't compatible to the question I'm asking.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in
message ...
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field
along with text from other excel fields to make photo badges using
Avery 5390 Name Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of
the picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

....Also, the 2nd link regarding mail merge grapics doesn't work...after
refreshing, it only has the image placeholder with an X in it.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See the "Graphics on Labels" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You will also need to see the item "Mail Merge Graphics" at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"blue heron" blue wrote in
message ...
Is it possible to use mail merge of pictures in an excel field
along with text from other excel fields to make photo badges using
Avery 5390 Name Badge
forms? If so how do I place three lines of text to the right of
the picture?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

After playing around, I found that the double back slashes do not work. I
had to change it to:
{includepicture "c:/graphics/{mergefield pic}.jpg"}

The locking is still a problem when using any combination of text box
(picture in the background, text in text boxes or picture 'on top of' the
background image).