Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
koala824 at Comcast

Default Table AutoFit Not Working

When I invoke Table AutofFit in Word 2003, it makes column adjustments, but
they are not correct. Specifically, some cell entries spill over to a second
line in the cell when there is actually plenty of room to put everything on
a single line. This even happens with a single word ending in 's' where the
's' is separated from the rest of the word and put on the second line.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

Hi Ted,

Thank you for the sample doc -- That's a really weird one!

My guess is that the AutoFit problems are caused by some Asian typography
settings in your styles, together with some Asian compatibility settings.

Changing the compatibility options (Tools Options Compatibility) to
those of your version would likely fix the problem.

Maybe better in the long run, get rid of the Asian stuff in your styles.
If you copy the Normal style over from some clean template (Tools
Templates and Add-Ins Organize...) into your doc, that seems to fix things
(since the other styles inherit from Normal), even with the compatibility
options unchanged.

In case this does not work (because your Normal.dot also has these weird
settings), try to copy the Normal style from some other template.
In that case, if you don't use Asian scripts, you might also consider to
turn off any support for Asian languages (Windows Programs Microsoft
Office Microsoft Office Tools Language Settings), and then build a new
Normal.dot (= rename it, then start Word to create a new one, and copy over
any customizations ... not the styles g ... from the old one).

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
veggiephd veggiephd is offline

First posting: I tried to post a new thread, but no "new post" window opens,
so....
Autofit for column width works fine for all columns in a newly created
table, except the first column in which I have put auto numbers. The column
is too wide. When I DC the right border to auto fit, it makes the column
even wider. When I move the border manually to the size I want (good fit
without excess margins), it hides the number text slightly. The only
adjustment to the column has been to make the numbers right flush. I have
tried making a new table in a new document, and get the same results. (By
the way, how do I make the right flush alignment option button show in the
toolbar? Only get the left and center alignment options.)