Harry Sampson

Default What does "[something]" mean?

Hi,

Sometimes when I am editing a document, I will notice that MS Word (2003)
automatically places a grey C channel "[" some text "]". It will often
surround a sentence or something. It doesn't print and it doesn't show up
in print preview. This grey "[" is slightly larger than it I tried to
manually type that in.

What does these marks "[" "]" mean? And how do I get rid of them?

Thank you.

HS

Doug Robbins

They designate the start and end of a bookmark. They can be turned off
under the View tab that you access by selecting Options from the Tools menu.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Harry Sampson" wrote in message
Hi,

Sometimes when I am editing a document, I will notice that MS Word (2003)
automatically places a grey C channel "[" some text "]". It will often
surround a sentence or something. It doesn't print and it doesn't show up
in print preview. This grey "[" is slightly larger than it I tried to
manually type that in.

What does these marks "[" "]" mean? And how do I get rid of them?

Thank you.

HS

Harry Sampson

Doug Robbins wrote ...

They designate the start and end of a bookmark. They can be turned off
under the View tab that you access by selecting Options from the Tools
menu.

That's interesting as I didn't purposefully create any bookmarks.

I started this document by copying and pasting from the Internet. I noticed
in the document I have OLE_LINK1 and OLE_LINK2 as bookmarks. Do you have
any idea what those are?

I suspect I got them when I did my copy and paste.

Thank you for your help.

HS