Vaughn

Default nested if then else

How can I create a nested "if then else"? I need to test for 2 criteria. If
that is true I need to print a certain address block. If that is false, I
need to print a different address block.

Greg

Lets say you have bookmark A and Bookmark B. If Bookmark A = "This"
AND BookMark B = "This" then the field will return "This" ELSE the
field returns "That"

{IF{REF A}="This"{IF{REF B}="This""This""That"}"That"}

Vaughn

Now lets suppose I am inserting mergefields. If bookmark A = "This" and
bookmark B = "That" I want to print 3 merge fields. If bookmark A = "That"
and bookmark B = "This" then I want to print 3 different merge fields.

"Greg" wrote:

Lets say you have bookmark A and Bookmark B. If Bookmark A = "This"
AND BookMark B = "This" then the field will return "This" ELSE the
field returns "That"

{IF{REF A}="This"{IF{REF B}="This""This""That"}"That"}

Greg

Vaughn,

For brevity lets call the mergerfields 1 2 3 4 5 6 and abbreviate
Mergefield as MF

{IF {A}="This"{IF{B}="That""{MF 1}{MF 2}{{MF 3}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF
6}"}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF 6}"}

Charles Kenyon

Using Greg's example with changes to test on the value of MF 7 & 8:

{IF {MF 7}="This"{IF {MF 8}="That""{MF 1}{MF 2}{{MF 3}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF
6}"}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF 6}"}

Your false value for MF 7 = "This" is:
{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF 6}

Your true value for MF 7 = "This" depends on the value of MF 8
Your false value for MF 8 = "That" is:
{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF 6}

Your true value for MF 8 = "That" is:
{MF 1}{MF 2}{{MF 3}

This isn't difficult, but you do have to keep track of what is where in
which field.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Greg" wrote:

Vaughn,

For brevity lets call the mergerfields 1 2 3 4 5 6 and abbreviate
Mergefield as MF

{IF {A}="This"{IF{B}="That""{MF 1}{MF 2}{{MF 3}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF
6}"}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF 6}"}

Greg Maxey

Vaugh,

If the condition is met you want to print three mergefields (1, 2, and 3)
If the condition is not met you said that you wanted to print three
different mergefields. I arbitrarily called those 4, 5, and 6.

Try this:
{ IF "1" = "1""{ IF "2"="2""{ IF "3"="3""True""False"}""False" }""False" }
Remember all brace pairs { } are entered with CTRL+F9

This should help you see the strucure of the nested fields. Change the
conditions to see how it reacts.
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

"Greg" wrote:

Vaughn,

For brevity lets call the mergerfields 1 2 3 4 5 6 and abbreviate
Mergefield as MF

{IF {A}="This"{IF{B}="That""{MF 1}{MF 2}{{MF 3}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF
6}"}""{MF 4}{MF 5}{MF 6}"}

Vaughn

I get it now. I'm thinking of my particular problem. The real problem now is,
only the first mrege field is printed. the next 2 do not print. Specifics;

if A is true print mf1 and mf2 and mf3
if A is false and B is true print mf4 and mf5 and mf6

only mf1 or mf4 are printed.

Greg Maxey

Vaughn,

I don't have a merger document to test with so I am just going to give you
another example to illustrate

Type

Three little pigs
select the Three and bookmark it "a"
select the little and bookmark it "b"
select the pigs and bookmark it "c"

Type
Three blind mice
Repeat above but book mark it d, e, f

Type True and bookmark it A1
Type True again and bookmark it B1

Enter this field:

{ IF { A1 } = "True""{ a }{ b }{ c }"{ IF { B1 }="True""{ d }{ e }{
}" } }

The result will be Three little pigs
Redefine bookmard A1 to False and the result will be Three blind mice
If both A1 and B1 are false the result will be nothing.

Does this help?
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Vaughn wrote:
I get it now. I'm thinking of my particular problem. The real problem
now is, only the first mrege field is printed. the next 2 do not
print. Specifics;

if A is true print mf1 and mf2 and mf3
if A is false and B is true print mf4 and mf5 and mf6

only mf1 or mf4 are printed.

Vaughn

I was just about to reply and say that I have searched and searched for
nested ifs (and I have), but I went into help again and there it was. Like
magic. This thread has taken a strange turn. I still seem to have a problem
with all 3 fields printing and will post back after further testing. Thanks
for the simple nudge to the help file again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word's Help file includes examples of nested IF fields.

"Vaughn" wrote in message
news
How can I create a nested "if then else"? I need to test for 2 criteria.

If
that is true I need to print a certain address block. If that is false, I
need to print a different address block.

Graham Mayor

If you are inserting fields manually, then don't forget you need to use
CTRL+F9 for the field boundaries.
If you are still having problems, post back the actual fieldnames and
conditions that you wish to use.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word's Help file includes examples of nested IF fields.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Vaughn" wrote in message
news
How can I create a nested "if then else"? I need to test for 2
criteria. If that is true I need to print a certain address block.
If that is false, I need to print a different address block.

How do I set up nested numbered headings in Word (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, . ShawnKarin Microsoft Word Help 2 April 22nd 23 08:52 PM
Help with nested tables Anasazi Tables 2 March 18th 05 04:42 AM
How do I "un-nest" a table from nested tables? Triplecee Tables 1 March 16th 05 02:19 PM
# Range inside "Nested If" Statement CJ Mailmerge 2 December 29th 04 07:56 PM