Riz

Default Implement a better Synonmn/Thesaurus please

One of the things that really dissapoint me with Word 2003 (or any Word
version for that matter) is the really poor Thesaurus function.

Let me explain. When I used Wordstar (this was like 14 years ago, it's a
dos wordprocessor), one of the things I really liked about it is it's RICH
thesaurus function. When you search for word, you get a really varied amount
of synonmys. You get complex as well as simple results. With Word, you seem
to only get basic synonyms. Like search for word like "go", I get "go away"
or "go off". Common, even a third grade student could have thought of that!!
A thesaurus is suppose to to give a high quality alternative too. If I goto
Thesaurus.com, for the same word, I get "abscond" or "hightail" and 30 other
words with similar meaning.

This is exactly what I mean, Word's thesaurus is more useful for elementary
students rather than any real serious writing. When I was using Wordstar
(again, this was 12 years ago) I had a much, much better thesaurus.

Please implement a better one, a more richer, more professional quality
thesaurus.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Riz

56 synonyms of what? the word "go"?

I have w2003 too and I get alot of synonyms for "go".

But it's not quantity, but quality. (and by the way, thesaurus.com has more
synonmys than word)

Check out what they have as synonyms (direct from w2003)...

leave,go away,go off,depart,set off,set out,exit,walk off,move,etc..

Now maybe it's just me, but all these words are really simplistic.

Now check out thesaurus.com...

abscond, approach, beat it, bug out, cruise, decamp, depart, escape

Funny enough most of these wordss are not in Word. And that's my complain,
why not.

"Riz" wrote in message
[...]

Klaus Linke

Hi Riz,

If you're lucky, Roget's thesaurus (with 766 entries for "go" instead of
Word's puny 56) will offer a web service before too long, and you can
subscribe to that for a monthly fee.

Seems unlikely that Microsoft will buy out all the best thesauri,
dictionaries, and so on, and offer them for free.

Greetings,
Klaus

"Riz" wrote in message
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.