bud i

Default Table of Contents won't crate entries

Office XP running under XP.

Unable to update ToC. This was working previously, but quit on me after a
massive cut and paste operation due to my clients Endnote Separation error.
I re-entered the fields to no avail. I noticed that when entering the field
switches, the system is no longer enclosing the TC text in quotes. Without
the quotes, nothing appears to happen. If I insert the quotes manually, I am
asked whether to update just the page numbers or the entire table. The
results are the same - a null response.

Once again, I plead ignorance and request assistance from the Gods of MVP.

In the ToC area, I have the following field:
{ TOC \f t}
In the body of the paper, I have:

{ TC €śABSTRACT€ť \f t }ABSTRACT

The fields were placed with:
Insert Field
Categories (Index and Tables)
Field names (TOC) and (TC)
I have tried it with and without the Multiple Tables checked.

I have tried creating the ToC with Heading styles and with TC entries with
the same unsuccessful results. I have also entered the TOC field from the
Insert Reference Index and Tables dialog box - still nutin'.

bud i

"bud i" wrote:

[...]

I also have Cut and Pasted several pages to a new document, and still cannot
build the ToC.
Stefan Blom

This could be a case of document corruption, I think. Take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom

"bud i" wrote in message
[...]

{ TC "ABSTRACT" \f t }ABSTRACT

The fields were placed with:
Insert Field
Categories (Index and Tables)
Field names (TOC) and (TC)
I have tried it with and without the Multiple Tables checked.

I have tried creating the ToC with Heading styles and with TC

entries with
the same unsuccessful results. I have also entered the TOC field

from the
Insert Reference Index and Tables dialog box - still nutin'.

bud i

"bud i" wrote in message
[...]

Step 4 of the referenced document was the only feasible fix for me, but it
didn't fix the problem.
Stefan Blom

I may have misunderstood your first message. Are you saying that you
have the same problem with new documents? Then it is possible that
your template is corrupted (again, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm).

If the problem is only with a specific document (my initial
assumption), did you make sure not to include the malfunctioning TOC
as you copied and pasted to a new document?

--
Stefan Blom