Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wordweaver Wordweaver is offline

Default Word 2007: spacing between *sentences* doesn't update

I work with long manuscripts and am currently converting from Word 2002 to
Word 2007. Style & grammar settings in 2007 specify 1 space between
*sentences* which I want. The documents being converted currently have 2
spaces between each sentence. Unfortunately, it remains 2 spaces (although
marked as error). How do I get the program to automatically update--remove
the extra space? Going through a 400 page manuscript, sentence x sentence and
deleting the extra space seems antiquated. What am I not doing? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

If you are talking about "empty" paragraphs between lines of text then see:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Clean_Up_Text.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Wordweaver wrote:
I work with long manuscripts and am currently converting from Word
2002 to Word 2007. Style & grammar settings in 2007 specify 1 space
between *sentences* which I want. The documents being converted
currently have 2 spaces between each sentence. Unfortunately, it
remains 2 spaces (although marked as error). How do I get the program
to automatically update--remove the extra space? Going through a 400
page manuscript, sentence x sentence and deleting the extra space
seems antiquated. What am I not doing? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word will not do this automatically. However, if you don't have any
legitimate places in the document where two spaces are needed rather than
one, you can change them all in one fell swoop using Find/Replace:

Press Ctrl+H.

Find what:spacespace (I.e., tap the space bar twice)

Replace with:space

Replace all.

If you do have valid occurrences of two spaces, then a different approach
would be needed -- one that specifically targets sentence punctuation
followed by two spaces:

Ctrl+H

Find what[.\!\?])(spacespace) (type everything exactly as you see
it here, EXCEPT press the Space bar where space is indicated.

Replace with:\1space

Use wildcard: checked

Replace all.

--