Mark

Default Chapter numbering without sections

I am using Word 2002 in Windows XP. I divided a long document into separate
chapters. In each chapter, I used page numbering to insert a number on the
right-hand bottom corner. Then, I manually inserted the chapter number in
front of the page number field. Of course, the table of contents for the
chapter does not show the chapter number. Word help indicates that I must
use section breaks to delineate the chapter numbers. However, I would like
to minimize section breaks, and find Word's instructions to executing this
to be very confusing at best. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks

Robert M. Franz

Hello Mark

Mark wrote:
I am using Word 2002 in Windows XP. I divided a long document into separate
chapters. In each chapter, I used page numbering to insert a number on the
right-hand bottom corner. Then, I manually inserted the chapter number in
front of the page number field. Of course, the table of contents for the
chapter does not show the chapter number.

Yes, beceause they are not part of Word's page number (that way).
Provided that your chapters are numbered through the built-in default
heading styles ("Heading 1", "Heading 2", ...), then your path lies in
Insert | Page Numbers | Format: Include chapter number. You usually
leave from there with OK and then CLOSE, bec. it's undesirable to leave
the outer dialogue with OK (which inserts the page numbers in a frame
instead of in the normal header or footer area), but we'll leave that
aside for the moment. Of course, there are also good reasons not to
"folio per chapter" in the first place, but hey, you asked for it ... :-)

Word help indicates that I must
use section breaks to delineate the chapter numbers.

If that's so, that's wrong!

However, I would like
to minimize section breaks, and find Word's instructions to executing this
to be very confusing at best.

You are not alone!

Greetingx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
jay

Comments on "folio per chapter", please?
or links/references?

thanks!
Jay

Margaret Aldis

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm for
instructions on how to do it and reasons why it's not a good idea.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

oups.com...