Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Alapatt R Alapatt is offline

Default skip records in mail merge

I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the other
i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50 lines. I need to
extact the address to print labels. The address is located every 20 through
25th line. In mail merge is there a way to skip a constant number of lines?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

One way to approach this would simply be to put the correct number of Next
record fields (i.e. { NEXT } fields) in your mail merge main document. As
long as the number of lines in each record is completely consistent, you may
be able to get away with it.

Peter Jamieson
"R Alapatt" wrote in message
I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the other
i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50 lines. I need
extact the address to print labels. The address is located every 20
through
25th line. In mail merge is there a way to skip a constant number of
lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Alapatt R Alapatt is offline

Thank you Peter. But is there any of the easier way. It will be a lot of
next record that I have to type.

"R Alapatt" wrote in message
I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the other
i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50 lines. I need
extact the address to print labels. The address is located every 20
through
25th line. In mail merge is there a way to skip a constant number of
lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You only have to type them once, into your mail merge main document. Then
use cut-and-paste (or if you are doing a label merge, you may be able to use
"propagate labels").

I suspect that is easier than any other method I can think of right now

Peter Jamieson

"R Alapatt" wrote in message
I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the
other
i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50 lines. I
need
extact the address to print labels. The address is located every 20
through
25th line. In mail merge is there a way to skip a constant number of
lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Did you see the response to your post on the same subject on August 17?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"R Alapatt" wrote in message
I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the other
i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50 lines. I need
extact the address to print labels. The address is located every 20
through
25th line. In mail merge is there a way to skip a constant number of
lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think I would be inclined to convert the data file to a more usable
format - see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

R Alapatt wrote:
I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the
other i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50
lines. I need to extact the address to print labels. The address is
located every 20 through 25th line. In mail merge is there a way to
skip a constant number of lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Alapatt R Alapatt is offline

That is a good idea. Thank you. I will try to implement it. But I am
wondering if Mail merge can say skip 'x' number of records. That way the
data file can be used as is.

R Alapatt wrote:
I have a data file where fields in a record are listed one below the
other i.e. a record is not a line. Each record is made up of 50
lines. I need to extact the address to print labels. The address is
located every 20 through 25th line. In mail merge is there a way to
skip a constant number of lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Back then to Peter's original suggestion of using 20 Next record fields (you
can copy and paste them to save retyping).