Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gail[_2_] Gail[_2_] is offline

Default Tbl Contents hyperlinks

Using Word 2000 - I am trying to produce a *pdf copy of my document which has
a Table of Contents. This I am doing with program PDF995. I deleted the
switch "H" after discovering how to access the field code for the Table of
Contents using ALT-F9. I saved the document.

I used the program PDF995 to convert to a *pdf file. The Table of Contents
did not convert entirely. About every second entry in the Table reads:

Error! Hyperlink Reference Not Valid.

The really awful thing was this happened in the original document as well.
I could not update the Table in the original because then EVERY entry in the
table resulted with the ERROR! Hyperlink Reference Not Valid. (fortunately I
had a saved copy on CD)

Please help. If I could produce a pdf copy of my document it would save me
large bucks because the printing compnay (this is for a published book) would
not have to charge me for this.

I have used PDF995 on many other documents with no issues. It is the Table
of Contents which is creating this havoc in my life

Thanks
Gail
--
Thank you for your help
Gail
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gail[_2_] Gail[_2_] is offline

On testing the update after i deleted the "h" switch I still have teh
hyperlink function. A-A-A-RG! How can I keep the Table of Contetns in print
form ONLY??? - getting rid of the hyperlink business altogether
--
Thank you for your help
Gail

"Gail" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Does your table of contents (TOC) show the correct content now? If that is
the case, you can change it to "normal" text as follows:
Select the TOC. Unlink it by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9 (changes it from a TOC
field to normal text). Then press Ctrl+Spacebar to remove any Hyperlink
formatting.

If the TOC is not correct (displaying errors): Have you tried to delete the
TOC and insert a new one?

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Gail" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gail[_2_] Gail[_2_] is offline

This is wonderful. thank you thank you. Now IF I needed to add something
tothe Table can I revert to the "hyperlink" setup, update the Table and then
perform the Ctrl=Shift=F9 function again?
--
Thank you for your help
Gail

"Gail" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You cannot revert the TOC to a TOC field once it is unlinked. But you can
delete it, insert a new TOC and unlink the new TOC.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Gail" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Gail:

One additional point that catches me off guard every time. After you edit
the field code to remove the \h switch, you have to update the field before
it actually stops acting like the switch was still there.

If you prefer to go back and forth between an active TOC and dead text, you
could store the TOC field as autotext (once you get the codes and switches
just the way you like) then it would be easy to recreate a "live" TOC that
you could then update and unlink again.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000