Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingrid Ingrid is offline

Default . how do I set up a two-page numbering scheme in one document?

I am typing a large document with 8 sections. The last section requires page
numbering on both the header (counting up to the total number of pages in the
document) and the footer (counting up to the total number of pages in the
section). How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In the header, use a {NUMPAGES} field to show the number of pages in
the entire document. In the footer, use a {SECTIONPAGES} field to show
the number of pages in the current section.

You'll need a section break (probably a Next Page or Odd Page break)
before at least the final section, and in the final section's footer
you need to turn off the Same As Previous setting to disconnect it
from the preceding sections' footers. Depending on the effect you
want, you may also need to restart page numbering at 1 for the final
section. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rontMatter.htm for
directions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:26:01 -0800, Ingrid
wrote:

I am typing a large document with 8 sections. The last section requires page
numbering on both the header (counting up to the total number of pages in the
document) and the footer (counting up to the total number of pages in the
section). How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SW5ncmlk?=,

I am typing a large document with 8 sections. The last section requires page
numbering on both the header (counting up to the total number of pages in the
document) and the footer (counting up to the total number of pages in the
section). How do I do this?

It's not possible to have Word automatically do both. The following setting will
preclude getting the "running numbers" from the rest of the document.

To get the page number within the section:

Insert/Page Numbers/Format and activate the "Start from" option. Type in the
starting number.

What you could possibly do would be to insert a PAGE field in the document text,
at the end of section 7. Have the Insert/Page Numbers/Format for those sections
set to "continue from last section". Select the page number and bookmark it.
Format the page number as hidden.

Now you should be able to use a REF field to pick up this information and use it
in a formula. For example:

{ = { Ref Sec1To7Pages \* CharFormat } + { Page } }

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)