Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
e125 e125 is offline

Default Direct Formatting vs. Character Formatting

Version of Word 2003: I would like to know what would be the best way to
preserve textual formatting in a document which I will be sending to an
editor. I have multiple instances where there is italics and bold text. Would
it be best to create a style called "Italics" and assign it the Ctrl + I
shortcut? And likewise for the bold? Or is there a better way of going about
this? The editor will be importing paragraph by paragraph into a template. I
want to make sure all of this formatting is preserved when he does so.

Also, I would like to know what you think would be the best way of identify
all the instances where this formatting is located. Unlike the paragraph
Styel, Word 2003's Character Styles do not have the helpful option "Select
all Instances of".

Thank you for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 06:44:06 -0800, e125 wrote:

Version of Word 2003: I would like to know what would be the best way to
preserve textual formatting in a document which I will be sending to an
editor. I have multiple instances where there is italics and bold text. Would
it be best to create a style called "Italics" and assign it the Ctrl + I
shortcut? And likewise for the bold? Or is there a better way of going about
this? The editor will be importing paragraph by paragraph into a template. I
want to make sure all of this formatting is preserved when he does so.

Also, I would like to know what you think would be the best way of identify
all the instances where this formatting is located. Unlike the paragraph
Styel, Word 2003's Character Styles do not have the helpful option "Select
all Instances of".

Thank you for your help.

The character styles named Emphasis (which applies italics) and Strong (which
applies bold) are built into the standard Normal.dot template. You can assign
the Ctrl+I and Ctrl+B shortcuts to these styles if you like.

In the Styles and Formatting task pane, the Select All button does work for
character styles. Or you can right-click any piece of text with a character
style and choose Select Text With Similar Formatting.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
e125 e125 is offline

Thank you for the response. I will use the tip; I prefer Word's innate
customization. Unfortunately, I am unable to use the "Select All" option,
because it claims that it is "Not Currently Used." My document, however, has
dozens of this formatting selected. Similarly, I am unable to use the option
"choose Select Text With Similar Formatting."

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Both of those options are available only if you have "Keep track of
formatting" enabled (Tools | Options | Edit). If you got tired of seeing
"Normal + 14 point Bold" and the like, you probably disabled it.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.