Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
display name display name is offline

Default How do I turn off viewing formatting chars when composing a docume

Had no prob. with prev. versions of Word, but 2007 is very confusing. I
cannot even compose a new doc without seeing formatting characters. For
example I get dots between each word instead of space. Also is there a way to
get rid of the "ribbon" and just have regular menus? I thought there was a
way. I may just need to re-install Word 2000 (the only other version I have
here at home).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"display name" wrote:

Had no prob. with prev. versions of Word, but 2007 is very confusing. I
cannot even compose a new doc without seeing formatting characters. For
example I get dots between each word instead of space. Also is there a way to
get rid of the "ribbon" and just have regular menus? I thought there was a
way. I may just need to re-install Word 2000 (the only other version I have
here at home).

Don't know how to edit my message, so I will reply to it. I found that
something was checked in Word Options - Display. A checkmark was on "Show
All formatting marks". How crazy. I never checked that. It was that way by
default!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is a toggle tool for non-printing formatting marks in the Home ribbon
tab--it looks like a paragraph mark, and is at the northeastern edge of the
Paragraph section in the Home ribbon tab. The shortcut keystroke is
Ctrl+Shift+8. So, if it happens again, it's pretty easy to toggle on/off
(which might be how it got toggled off to begin with).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

"display name" wrote in message

"display name" wrote:

Had no prob. with prev. versions of Word, but 2007 is very confusing. I
cannot even compose a new doc without seeing formatting characters. For
example I get dots between each word instead of space. Also is there a
way to
get rid of the "ribbon" and just have regular menus? I thought there was
way. I may just need to re-install Word 2000 (the only other version I
have
here at home).

Don't know how to edit my message, so I will reply to it. I found that
something was checked in Word Options - Display. A checkmark was on "Show
All formatting marks". How crazy. I never checked that. It was that way by
default!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You may have clicked on the Show/Hide (¶) button.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"display name" wrote:

Had no prob. with prev. versions of Word, but 2007 is very confusing. I
cannot even compose a new doc without seeing formatting characters. For
example I get dots between each word instead of space. Also is there a
way to
get rid of the "ribbon" and just have regular menus? I thought there was
way. I may just need to re-install Word 2000 (the only other version I
have
here at home).

Don't know how to edit my message, so I will reply to it. I found that
something was checked in Word Options - Display. A checkmark was on "Show
All formatting marks". How crazy. I never checked that. It was that way by
default!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It is NOT that way by default. However, there are two other ways to
get that box checked (and unchecked again): either click the ¶ button
on the Home ribbon, or press Ctrl+Shift+8. You probably did one or the
other by mistake (and both of these things were in previous versions
of Word).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman