Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default What's the cursor that looks like a compass?

Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I don't see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why do I
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

You can see that cursor in a lot of places:
- top-left corner of tables
- shapes
- figures
- smart art

Normally the cursor changes back to normal when you leave those objects.
Could it be that you selected one of those objects? Or that you have a page
sized object?

Yves

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" u3143@uwe wrote in message
Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot
surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I don't
see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why do
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Possibly this is the AutoScroll function usually triggered by clicking the
scroll wheel on your mouse. In a long document, if you trigger the
AutoScroll function. you get the 'compass-like' cursor symbol. If you move
the mouse up or down, the pages will start scrolling up or down: the further
you move it from its 'start' point (that's the point where the mouse pointer
was at the time you clicked the scroll button), the faster it will scroll.
If your mouse supports sideways scrolling, you can scroll across a large
spreadsheet as well as up and down.

The usual reason for accidental triggering is your mouse is knackered and
the scroll wheel 'click' function has become weak so that it clicks when you
only want to scroll.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot
surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I don't
see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why do
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If it is accidental AutoScroll, then pressing the Esc key turns it off. If
you're using IntelliPoint, you can change the assignment to the wheel click
in your Mouse settings (control panel).

Here... I see something similar when the wheel click is assigned to the
AutoScroll function, but I see only two arrows (up/down), rather than four.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot
surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I don't
see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why do
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Herb

You only get 4 arrows if your mouse supports sideways scrolling and the
option is enables in Intellipoint.

Terry

Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot
surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I don't
see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why
do I
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

The Escape key is what I'd expect to work, but it didn't get rid of the
scrolling cursor. I even resorted to rebooting to get rid of it. Is there any
other way to get rid of it?

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
If it is accidental AutoScroll, then pressing the Esc key turns it off. If
you're using IntelliPoint, you can change the assignment to the wheel click
in your Mouse settings (control panel).

Here... I see something similar when the wheel click is assigned to the
AutoScroll function, but I see only two arrows (up/down), rather than four.

Possibly this is the AutoScroll function usually triggered by clicking the
scroll wheel on your mouse. In a long document, if you trigger the

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry -- Horizontal scrolling is enabled--and it works in other contexts.
But, when I toggle AutoScroll, I still see only the vertical arrows. I just
verified this on two different computers.

--

Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot
surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I
don't see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why
do I
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Clicking the mouse wheel gets rid of the two-pointed version (which I also
got by clicking the mouse wheel). I hope it works when the four-pointed kind
appears again. Thanks to all who clued me in about this.

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Does clicking the mouse wheel toggle it off?

The Escape key is what I'd expect to work, but it didn't get rid of the
scrolling cursor. I even resorted to rebooting to get rid of it. Is there

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It turns out that I can get the 4-pointed cursor, too... but not in Word. It
does show up in Excel (where it's of more use), but wouldn't be very useful
for me in Word, since I typically don't have Word documents that are that
wide. I'm now wondering just what circumstance one would need for it to work
in a Word document. Creating a very wide document didn't do it.

In any case, I'm glad you have a way out--but I'm surprised that Escape
doesn't do it. I also find that pressing any key--backspace, space, Ctrl,
Shift, a letter, Enter, etc.--also turns off AutoScroll here. So does
clicking any of the other mouse buttons.

--

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Does clicking the mouse wheel toggle it off?

The Escape key is what I'd expect to work, but it didn't get rid of the
scrolling cursor. I even resorted to rebooting to get rid of it. Is
there

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Herb

Thanks. I haven't got an 'Intellipoint' mouse to test this. Obviously, my
memory of the AutoScroll pointer is about par!

Every so often my cursor changes to a symbol that has a round dot
surrounded
by 4 pointers. It doesn't do quite what a normal cursor does and I
don't see
how to get the normal one back. What is this other cursor for, and why
do I
get it randomly?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Herb

That explains where I've seen it then: in Excel!

[...]

How do I change the cursor in Word (2002)? default cursor back? DaveB Microsoft Word Help 1 March 11th 09 04:05 PM
cursor turns into Hourglass with every move of thw cursor mmkalak Microsoft Word Help 0 April 4th 08 03:02 PM
How to add a tab at the cursor? [email protected] New Users 2 October 19th 07 03:58 PM
Cursor gram Microsoft Word Help 0 January 15th 07 12:16 PM
Cursor David Drennan Microsoft Word Help 1 January 24th 06 02:34 PM