Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smithy smithy is offline

Default Can horizontal ruler in Word be changed to begin w/ zero?

--
csmith
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It does begin at zero - at the left margin position! If you mean can you set
the left margin at the edge of the paper, then the likely answer is no. Very
few printer drivers allow printing to the edge of the page and Word will
only set what the driver will permit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smithy smithy is offline

I can see that the ruler within the margin begins with zero. And, I am aware
that most printers will not print a bleed.

What I am trying to find out is whether it is possible to change the ruler
to a realistic view where zero is at the edge of the paper?
--
csmith

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It does begin at zero - at the left margin position! If you mean can you set
the left margin at the edge of the paper, then the likely answer is no. Very
few printer drivers allow printing to the edge of the page and Word will
only set what the driver will permit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, the ruler origin cannot be set in Word as it can in Publisher and other
page layout programs. That is due to the differences between word processing
and page layout functions.

news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It does begin at zero - at the left margin position! If you mean can you

set
the left margin at the edge of the paper, then the likely answer is no.

Very
few printer drivers allow printing to the edge of the page and Word will
only set what the driver will permit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smithy smithy is offline

Thank you Suzanne, for providing a response that answered my question, and
lacked the smart-aleck tone of Graham Mayor's answer.
--
csmith

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the ruler origin cannot be set in Word as it can in Publisher and other
page layout programs. That is due to the differences between word processing
and page layout functions.

news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It does begin at zero - at the left margin position! If you mean can you

set
the left margin at the edge of the paper, then the likely answer is no.

Very
few printer drivers allow printing to the edge of the page and Word will
only set what the driver will permit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SProvost SProvost is offline

My problem was slightly different: I got to this subject because, one day,
the print display stopped showing the white margin at the top. To fix this:
I went to the Word button. I clicked the Word Options button. I chose
Advanced, then Display, and in the Page Display Option section, a selected
Show white space between pages in Print Layout view. That fixed my problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the ruler origin cannot be set in Word as it can in Publisher and other
page layout programs. That is due to the differences between word processing
and page layout functions.

news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It does begin at zero - at the left margin position! If you mean can you

set
the left margin at the edge of the paper, then the likely answer is no.

Very
few printer drivers allow printing to the edge of the page and Word will
only set what the driver will permit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's discussed in http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm, but
it has to do with the vertical ruler, not the horizontal one.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the ruler origin cannot be set in Word as it can in Publisher and
other
page layout programs. That is due to the differences between word
processing
and page layout functions.

so
all may benefit.

news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It does begin at zero - at the left margin position! If you mean can
you

set
the left margin at the edge of the paper, then the likely answer is
no.

Very
few printer drivers allow printing to the edge of the page and Word
will
only set what the driver will permit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
The Blue Max The Blue Max is offline

Great question, Smithy! Like you, we also feel that Microsoft should provide
an option for calibrating the ruler to zero at the left edge of the page.
WordPerfect refers to these two options as absolute margins (left edge of
page) and relative margins (left margin).

WordPerfect has had this feature for many years and it has some distinct
advantages. For example, it allows the user to immediately visualize the
actual width of the paper, the margin widths, and column offsets. It would
be nice if Microsoft would provide a similar feature.

"smithy" wrote:

I can see that the ruler within the margin begins with zero. And, I am aware
that most printers will not print a bleed.

What I am trying to find out is whether it is possible to change the ruler
to a realistic view where zero is at the edge of the paper?
--
csmith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And if your screen is wide enough, or you zoom down enough, you can
see the whole page width.

On Mar 12, 5:43*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
But it's not going to happen.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"smithy" wrote:

I can see that the ruler within the margin begins with zero. *And, I am
aware
that most printers will not print a bleed.

What I am trying to find out is whether it is possible to change the
ruler
to a realistic view where zero is at the edge of the paper?
--
csmith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"smithy" wrote:

I can see that the ruler within the margin begins with zero. *And, I am
aware
that most printers will not print a bleed.

What I am trying to find out is whether it is possible to change the
ruler
to a realistic view where zero is at the edge of the paper?
--
csmith

Word-My horizontal ruler is too narrow - 17 cms instead of around Franadfam Microsoft Word Help 1 June 27th 07 11:20 PM
My horizontal ruler in Word keeps disappearing eb Microsoft Word Help 2 August 24th 06 02:46 PM
Horizontal Ruler Marty Page Layout 5 March 17th 06 08:18 PM
How do I get Horizontal ruler by default on my word screen? Sumeet Page Layout 3 March 16th 06 04:41 PM
Horizontal ruler in Word is not properly aligned with the page Wordmuddle Page Layout 1 November 25th 05 03:50 AM