Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Looking 4 Help Please Looking 4 Help Please is offline

Default Convert File text box appears - opening online resumes

I have the capability to to open resumes that have been submitted by
potential future employees so that I can assign them to the correct
department manager. Just recently I've started having a problem in that some
of the resumes, after I launch them, I get a Convert File text window. I've
tried every option in this list but I either get an error and nothing opens
up or I get the boxes and other strange characters.

I believe that the ones that I'm having problems with most likely were
created in something other than Word, such as Works, Wordpad, Notepad, etc.

I have verified that the document does have an extension of .doc

Here's what I've done in an attempt to resolve issue:
1)installed the 2007 fileformatconverter.exe file
2)Performed steps to unregister the mswrd632 converter [basically deleted
the registry setting]
3)installed a pdf application and tried to convert the doc file to a pdf
4)saved the document as a .docx
5)deleted the registry setting for msword6.wpc

I really need to be able to pull up all resumes, regardless of what
application the person created it in. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are you opening them in Word 2003? A possibility is that they were created
with Word 2007 from a 2007 template - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Problems_opening_2007_docs.htm