Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian[_4_] Brian[_4_] is offline

Default Double-Click Copy/Paste in Word

For years Ive been using Lotus Word Pro, and when I double-click on a word it
is highlighted for copy/paste functions. But now that Im switching to MS
Word, when I double-click on a word, not only is the word highlighted, but
also the spaces following the word. When I then copy/paste such a 'password'
etc, the pasted word is not accepted, because the spaces are included. This
seems like a big hassle to me, to have to carefully drag the highlighting
across the word to be sure no spaces are included. Is there anything I can do
about it?
--
Brian
Kansas City
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't say which version of Word you're using, but somewhere in the
Options you'll find one for "Smart Selection" or something like that.
Uncheck it. It's the default, but it's useless.

On May 20, 9:06*pm, Brian .(donotspam) wrote:
For years Ive been using Lotus Word Pro, and when I double-click on a word it
is highlighted for copy/paste functions. But now that Im switching to MS
Word, when I double-click on a word, not only is the word highlighted, but
also the spaces following the word. When I then copy/paste such a 'password'
etc, the pasted word is not accepted, because the spaces are included. This
seems like a big hassle to me, to have to carefully drag the highlighting
across the word to be sure no spaces are included. Is there anything I can do
about it?
--
Brian
Kansas City

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian[_4_] Brian[_4_] is offline

Thank you for your reply. Im using Word 2007. I found 'Word Options'
Advanced Cut, copy, and paste ... but I still cant figure out how to make
Copy stop picking up the spaces. Any further sugguestion?
--
Brian
Kansas City

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian[_4_] Brian[_4_] is offline

This still doesnt work for me. If another word is after the word Im copying,
or my word is at the end of the line with no punctuation.. the 'double click
copy selection' still picks up several more spaces, which then dont work for
password insertions. I do this several times a day, so it is a bit of a big
deal for me.
--
Brian
Kansas City

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
You don't say which version of Word you're using, but somewhere in the
Options you'll find one for "Smart Selection" or something like that.
Uncheck it. It's the default, but it's useless.

On May 20, 9:06 pm, Brian .(donotspam) wrote:
For years Ive been using Lotus Word Pro, and when I double-click on a word it
is highlighted for copy/paste functions. But now that Im switching to MS
Word, when I double-click on a word, not only is the word highlighted, but
also the spaces following the word. When I then copy/paste such a 'password'
etc, the pasted word is not accepted, because the spaces are included.. This
seems like a big hassle to me, to have to carefully drag the highlighting
across the word to be sure no spaces are included. Is there anything I can do
about it?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The double click will always pick up the space(s) after a word unless it is
immediately followed by a punctation mark.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian[_4_] Brian[_4_] is offline

So there is no way around this problem (did you read my initial post?)? It
seems weird to me that it wouldnt just pick up what Im double clicking on, as
it has always done, for years, using my Lotus Word Pro, which I can no longer
use as it is not supported by Win-7. I copy/paste Passwords all day every
day, so this is a big hassle for me, as a new Word user. I guess I will
[amazingly] have to put a 'period' after each of my passwords, so I can
[double-click] copy/paste.
--
Brian
Kansas City

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The double click will always pick up the space(s) after a word unless it is
immediately followed by a punctation mark.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It doesn't seem very secure that your passwords are written out in
some document somewhere ... but you don't need to "carefully drag the
highlighting across the word": you can double-click and Shift-Left to
deselect the space.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The double click will always pick up the space(s) after a word unless it is
immediately followed by a punctation mark.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian[_4_] Brian[_4_] is offline

When I do that it erases the word. What is wrong with having a file with my
passwords listed? I have about 300 passwords. Should I write them on my hand?
--
Brian
Kansas City

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Well, you can Shift+Left Arrow to deselect each space.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your arrow key or the combination Shift-Left Arrow must have been
assigned to some different command. The arrow keys normally do not do
anything but move the cursor. (You're not pressing Backspace, are you,
which also shows a left-pointing arrow on the keytop?)

If your password is written out where anyone can view it, it's not
much of a password.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Well, you can Shift+Left Arrow to deselect each space.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't see what Lotus Pro has to do with the different behaviour of Word.
They are entirely different applications. However while it is not a
particularly good idea to store your passwords in a document - there are
plenty of password management applications around that would be more
secure - you can address your immediate problem with a macro.

Add the following macro to a toolbar button and use it to copy your password
to the clipboard. It will eliminate any following spaces or paragraph mark
(which would also be selected if you double click the last word in a
paragraph) from your double click selection.

Sub MyCopy()
Dim oRng As Range
If Len(Selection.Range) 1 Then
Set oRng = Selection.Range
Do While oRng.Characters.Last = Chr(32) Or _
oRng.Characters.Last = Chr(13)
oRng.End = oRng.End - 1
Loop
oRng.Copy
Else
MsgBox "Select the text first!"
End If
End Sub

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The double click will always pick up the space(s) after a word unless it
is
immediately followed by a punctation mark.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian[_4_] Brian[_4_] is offline

Im sorry, you are correct, Shift-LeftArrow does move the highlighting back
one-space at a time, I mis-interpreted your message as Shift-LeftTab. Thanks
for the tip. Ive also found that my idea of a 'period' at the end of the
password works pretty good for quick double-click copy also.

How else would a person keep track of hundreds of passwords, if they didnt
write them down in an alphabetical order? No one else has access to my
computer, unless they can access it some way that I am not aware of.
--
Brian
Kansas City