Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Rainbow Teacher Rainbow Teacher is offline

Default How to stop a table cell from resizing when I type

I have a table where others will be typing comments into a cell. I do not
want the cell to alter size vertically when they type. I want to restrict
the number of lines for that cell.
I am using Windows 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Set the row height to an exact value. From the Tables menu, select
Properties, then go to the Row tab and check the Specify height box, enter
the desired height and from the Row height is pull down, select Exactly.

I assume that by Windows 2003, you meant Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Rainbow Teacher" Rainbow wrote in
message ...
I have a table where others will be typing comments into a cell. I do not
want the cell to alter size vertically when they type. I want to restrict
the number of lines for that cell.
I am using Windows 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Rainbow Teacher[_2_] Rainbow Teacher[_2_] is offline

Thank you so much Doug Robbins. OOps it is Word 2003.
I did as you instructed and the cells don't resize. Bit disconcerting is
the wobbly feeling when typing in the cells. The grid lines tend to move
when you type.
I really appreciate your help.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Set the row height to an exact value. From the Tables menu, select
Properties, then go to the Row tab and check the Specify height box, enter
the desired height and from the Row height is pull down, select Exactly.

I assume that by Windows 2003, you meant Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Rainbow Teacher" Rainbow wrote in
message ...
I have a table where others will be typing comments into a cell. I do not
want the cell to alter size vertically when they type. I want to restrict
the number of lines for that cell.
I am using Windows 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Have you not turned off auto resizing? Table Properties | Table | Options |
Automatically resize to fit content.

"Rainbow Teacher" wrote in
message ...

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Set the row height to an exact value. From the Tables menu, select
Properties, then go to the Row tab and check the Specify height box,
enter
the desired height and from the Row height is pull down, select Exactly.

I assume that by Windows 2003, you meant Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Rainbow Teacher" Rainbow wrote in
message ...
I have a table where others will be typing comments into a cell. I do
not
want the cell to alter size vertically when they type. I want to
restrict
the number of lines for that cell.
I am using Windows 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Rainbow Teacher[_2_] Rainbow Teacher[_2_] is offline

Yes the auto resizing is off. The bottom grid line still moves down when
typing. Setting the row size and choosing 'exactly' stopped this.

Rainbow Teacher

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Set the row height to an exact value. From the Tables menu, select
Properties, then go to the Row tab and check the Specify height box,
enter
the desired height and from the Row height is pull down, select Exactly.

I assume that by Windows 2003, you meant Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Rainbow Teacher" Rainbow wrote in
message ...
I have a table where others will be typing comments into a cell. I do
not
want the cell to alter size vertically when they type. I want to
restrict
the number of lines for that cell.
I am using Windows 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I was addressing your report of a "wobbly feeling" after setting an exact
row height.

"Rainbow Teacher" wrote in
message ...