Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

Default Word 2007 Crashes on Shutdown

On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP. Since then,
Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007,
but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You might do better checking what add-ins are loading and renaming your
normal.dotm template which would put you closer to safe mode - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP. Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and reinstalled
Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

I found nothing there that seemed to apply to my problem: Word crashing on
shutdown.

This is actually a minor problem. Instead of a normal close, I get a prompt
to send Microsoft a crash report. So they get several from me every day.

My main worry is that there may be other problems operating as well. But I
guess I will just wait and see if they occur.

-Bob

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP. Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although the article purports to deal with problems starting Word, it
actually covers problems quitting Word and working with Word as well. Most
such problems will be due to a problem with Normal.dot, the Registry,
add-ins, or the printer, so the article really offers general
troubleshooting tips. Work through it and see if it doesn't help.

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP. Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

I think I tried everything.

I did discover one interesting thing. If I start word using

run winword.exe /a

the problem goes away.

The next time I start word normally, however, the problem is back.

-Bob

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP. Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

Renaming normal.dot and normal.dotm didn't help. I removed my non-Microsoft
add-ins and that didn't help. My printer drivers haven't been updated for
months.

Thus the registry seems the most likely suspect.

The articles give instructions for editing the registry on most versions of
Word, but not for Word 2007.

-Bob

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP.
Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The registry entries for Word 2007 are similar to those for 2003 and earlier
except that you address the registry tree entries for Word 12.0 rather than
Word 11.0
Rename the settings sub key at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the program works correctly when you start with the /a switch,
then there is definitely a problem with Normal.dot, the Registry, an
add-in, or your printer driver.

"BobChatelle" wrote in
message ...

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP.
Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

There is no Data entry under Word. There is an entry that says
"Document Properties and personal Information"

-Bob

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP.
Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

Under office/12.0/word I have three entries:
Document Inspectors
InstallRoot
Text Converters

The key I mentioned is under Document Inspectors.

I have a screen shot, but I don't see an option to attach it.

-Bob

BobChatelle wrote:
On June 11 I installed the latest four updates to Windows XP.
Since
then, Word crashes whenever I close it. I uninstalled and
reinstalled Office 2007, but that doesn't fix the problem.

It doesn't crash when Word is opened in safe mode.

Any suggestions? Can I safely uninstall those 4 updates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobChatelle BobChatelle is offline

Never mind. I made a wrong turn somewhere going down the hierarchy. I found
the keay and whall now delete it.

-Bob