Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mulberry Mulberry is offline

Default numbers in table of contents to show against headings in document

Hello all you helpful people,
If I create a table of contents via insert/reference/index and tables method
eg.

1. Processes
1.1 1st process
1.2 2nd process

how can I get my headings within the text of the document to show these
numbers.
ie.
1.1 Processes
blah blah blah

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use Heading Styles for the headings in the document and then create the
table of contents from the Heading Styles.

For information about how to set up the numbering, see:

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

If you create a template to hold your numbering scheme, you can use that
template as the basis for new documents (using File New) and the new
documents will then inherit your numbering scheme. To do that, see:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mulberry" wrote in message
Hello all you helpful people,
If I create a table of contents via insert/reference/index and tables
method
eg.

1. Processes
1.1 1st process
1.2 2nd process

how can I get my headings within the text of the document to show these
numbers.
ie.
1.1 Processes
blah blah blah

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mulberry Mulberry is offline

Default numbers in table of contents to show against headings in docum

Doug, just what I wanted ... thank you