Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney Peter  Rooney is offline

Default Strange symbol in a strange box

I've been given a Word 2003 DOC to edit. Most of the document is normal
text. However, in the right edge of the pages, outside of the right margin
indicator, is a column of boxes drawn with dashed lines. In two corners of
each box is a symbol that looks like an "O" with four short "rays" or dots
around it, spaced at about 1, 4, 7, and 10 o'clock. The column looks like a
film strip with sprocket holes. I wish I could draw it for you.

I need to insert short text strings in these boxes, for example "2468".
However, the boxes are not live for me - I can't move a cursor into them or
insert text.

Can anybody tell me what is going on, and how to edit these boxes?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It sounds like it's a table that's been made floating, anchored in the header
(or maybe in the footer, but the header is more likely) and dragged into the
margin. The symbol you describe is what Word uses for the end-of-cell and
end-of-row markers, although those usually aren't visible unless you turn on
nonprinting character display by clicking the ¶ button, and there would be only
one in each cell.

Try double-clicking in the header area to open it, and then see if you can get
the cursor into the boxes then.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:47:26 -0500, "Peter Rooney"
wrote:

I've been given a Word 2003 DOC to edit. Most of the document is normal
text. However, in the right edge of the pages, outside of the right margin
indicator, is a column of boxes drawn with dashed lines. In two corners of
each box is a symbol that looks like an "O" with four short "rays" or dots
around it, spaced at about 1, 4, 7, and 10 o'clock. The column looks like a
film strip with sprocket holes. I wish I could draw it for you.

I need to insert short text strings in these boxes, for example "2468".
However, the boxes are not live for me - I can't move a cursor into them or
insert text.

Can anybody tell me what is going on, and how to edit these boxes?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney Peter  Rooney is offline

Yes, that was it. A table anchored in the header. Now I can write in the
boxes. For what mysterious reason, I have still to learn.
Thanks.

wrote:

I've been given a Word 2003 DOC to edit. Most of the document is normal
text. However, in the right edge of the pages, outside of the right margin
indicator, is a column of boxes drawn with dashed lines. In two corners of
each box is a symbol that looks like an "O" with four short "rays" or dots
around it, spaced at about 1, 4, 7, and 10 o'clock. The column looks like
film strip with sprocket holes. I wish I could draw it for you.

I need to insert short text strings in these boxes, for example "2468".
However, the boxes are not live for me - I can't move a cursor into them
or
insert text.

Can anybody tell me what is going on, and how to edit these boxes?

a strange symbol appears now when I open word, how can fix it? beachzz Microsoft Word Help 2 October 9th 08 05:21 AM
strange... lpi Microsoft Word Help 0 August 24th 07 07:45 PM
strange... lpi Microsoft Word Help 0 August 24th 07 07:45 PM
strange background SP New Users 2 June 2nd 06 10:05 PM
Very strange??? billybob New Users 1 January 21st 05 05:33 PM