Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Default error: bookmark self-reference

WD2003. I'm no noob but am feeling stupid. Why are the fields in a particular
document showing "Error! Not a valid bookmark self-reference" when they're
refreshed? It's a protected form full of bookmarked places to fill in your
details. The bookmarks seem fine when I show 'em.

I can raise a new form and template and fill it no problem, but when I (or
the user who gave it to me) open this one it shows all the correct filled-in
text until we try to print it, when the fields all turn into that error
message.

I googled the message and got hundreds of hits where that error message was
given instead of the intended text.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The implication is that you are using the content of bookmark name to
redefine that same bookmark name. Can you post your errant field code? To
facilitate that use the macro at http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm

Jonathan589 wrote:
WD2003. I'm no noob but am feeling stupid. Why are the fields in a
particular document showing "Error! Not a valid bookmark
self-reference" when they're refreshed? It's a protected form full of
bookmarked places to fill in your details. The bookmarks seem fine
when I show 'em.

I can raise a new form and template and fill it no problem, but when
I (or the user who gave it to me) open this one it shows all the
correct filled-in text until we try to print it, when the fields all
turn into that error message.

I googled the message and got hundreds of hits where that error
message was given instead of the intended text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Graham, thanks for your fast response and the problem is solved but not the
puzzle.

I got intelligent for a moment and looked up the original application form
that the problem one should have been derived from. It has proper form fields
that say { FORMTEXT } and I can change field properties, update €˜em and fill
it in happily. Somehow the questionable form has become corrupted and reused
so that the fields have mostly changed to be called after the bookmarks that
should be in each textform property.

I ran your macro and it gave the field containing bookmark name plus what
looks like an unknown-character box shaped like a Greek Pi, so
{"Text52"}
Î*

Please stand down now :-) but if you have a bright idea on how to change
scores of form fields to be named after their bookmarks I should be glad to
hear it! Or maybe I've missed another point ...

Jonathan589 wrote:
WD2003. I'm no noob but am feeling stupid. Why are the fields in a
particular document showing "Error! Not a valid bookmark
self-reference" when they're refreshed? It's a protected form full of
bookmarked places to fill in your details. The bookmarks seem fine
when I show 'em.

I can raise a new form and template and fill it no problem, but when
I (or the user who gave it to me) open this one it shows all the
correct filled-in text until we try to print it, when the fields all
turn into that error message.

I googled the message and got hundreds of hits where that error
message was given instead of the intended text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is the names of the form fields (as viewed from their properties) that
provide the bookmarks. Bookmark names may not be duplicated, so if the form
fields properties are no longer named, there is no way of knowing what the
original names were in order to rename them.

?

Jonathan589 wrote:
WD2003. I'm no noob but am feeling stupid. Why are the fields in a
particular document showing "Error! Not a valid bookmark
self-reference" when they're refreshed? It's a protected form full
of bookmarked places to fill in your details. The bookmarks seem
fine when I show 'em.

I can raise a new form and template and fill it no problem, but when
I (or the user who gave it to me) open this one it shows all the
correct filled-in text until we try to print it, when the fields all
turn into that error message.

I googled the message and got hundreds of hits where that error
message was given instead of the intended text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Thank you again, your explanation is useful for my education.
I've discovered that 'it keeps happening' has turned into 'it keeps
happening with one respondent' so I suspect something like a faulty
conversion from a WD2003 file into another format, but I have now officially
ceased to worry.