Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MG MG is offline

Default How can I delete line across page? Normal delete doesn't touch it.

I put divider lines between sections by hitting several hyphens, then Enter.
The hyphens became a heavy dark line all the way across the page... which
won't go away! I can delete up to it, so it disappears but then it comes
back.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The divider lines that you have inserted are Drawing Objects and must be
selected with the Object Selection tool.

In Versions of Word before 2007, that tool is the arrow head on the Drawing
Toolbar that you can display by accessing the View menu, then select
Toolbars and check the Drawing item.

In Word 2007, go to the Home tab and then in the Editing section of the
Ribbon, pulldown the Select item and click on the Select Objects item.

In both cases, when you do this, the mouse cursor will change to an Arrow
head pointing to the left of Vertical and with that you will be able to
select the divider lines and then delete them.

Press Esc to return the mouse cursor to its normal functionality.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"MG" wrote in message
I put divider lines between sections by hitting several hyphens, then
Enter.
The hyphens became a heavy dark line all the way across the page... which
won't go away! I can delete up to it, so it disappears but then it comes
back.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, Bob.

You are probably right. I thought there was an article on it somewhere, but
could not find it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Doug;

PMFJI, but what the OP describes sounds more like Paragraph Bottom
Borders
imposed by AutoFormat As You Type as described he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/22/09 5:21 PM, in article ,
"Doug
Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The divider lines that you have inserted are Drawing Objects and must be
selected with the Object Selection tool.

In Versions of Word before 2007, that tool is the arrow head on the
Drawing
Toolbar that you can display by accessing the View menu, then select
Toolbars and check the Drawing item.

In Word 2007, go to the Home tab and then in the Editing section of the
Ribbon, pulldown the Select item and click on the Select Objects item.

In both cases, when you do this, the mouse cursor will change to an Arrow
head pointing to the left of Vertical and with that you will be able to
select the divider lines and then delete them.

Press Esc to return the mouse cursor to its normal functionality.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lhynard Lhynard is offline

Word likes to autoformat hyphens into lines. The easy fix is to hit Ctrl-Z to
undo the autoformatting as soon as it happens. This will return you your
hyphens, and you can continue from there.

"MG" wrote:

I put divider lines between sections by hitting several hyphens, then Enter.
The hyphens became a heavy dark line all the way across the page... which
won't go away! I can delete up to it, so it disappears but then it comes
back.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Although your reply is accurate I'm afraid it doesn't address the OP's issue
-- the Borders were already there & it's way too late for Undo :-)

More importantly, the "easy fix" is to turn the feature off altogether as
described in article I linked MG to. If you frequently need to use paragraph
borders apply them directly or -- better yet -- include them in a Paragraph
Style designed for the purpose.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/23/09 9:24 PM, in article
, "Lhynard"

"MG" wrote:

I put divider lines between sections by hitting several hyphens, then Enter.
The hyphens became a heavy dark line all the way across the page... which
won't go away! I can delete up to it, so it disappears but then it comes
back.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tollens Tollens is offline

Default How can I delete line across page? Normal delete doesn't touch

I have this line from using a memo format. I can not get rid it of it.

Bill Gates is such a control freak. He forces his help on you. I hate that.
I want control of my own stuff.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

I don't believe Bill Gates has ever been involved in the design or
development of Word.

http://word.mvps.org