Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B E Brady[_2_] B E Brady[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 to PDF Image Quality

When printing Word 2007 document with an image to PDF the image quality in
the PDF is terrible. I have an all-text document with a two-color
institutional logo inserted.

This is true regardless of the image type inserted in the Word document,
including jpg, png, bmp and jpg cut then pasted as Windows Enhanced Metafile.

It is true regardless of the PDF output setting, including Smallest,
Standard, High Quality Print, and experiments with custom print output
settings.

This only seems to happen when converting from Word to PDF, and not from
other programs to PDF.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this will be much appreciated. What I'm
aiming for is a small file size with a decent looking image.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What are you using to 'print' the PDF? Word 2007's PDF creation tool does
not involve 'printing'.
If you are using Acrobat, use the Word add-in to create the PDFs.
Ensure that you view the PDF at 100%. Scaling graphics can produce poor
results.

B E Brady wrote:
When printing Word 2007 document with an image to PDF the image
quality in the PDF is terrible. I have an all-text document with a
two-color institutional logo inserted.

This is true regardless of the image type inserted in the Word
document, including jpg, png, bmp and jpg cut then pasted as Windows
Enhanced Metafile.

It is true regardless of the PDF output setting, including Smallest,
Standard, High Quality Print, and experiments with custom print output
settings.

This only seems to happen when converting from Word to PDF, and not
from other programs to PDF.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this will be much appreciated. What
I'm aiming for is a small file size with a decent looking image.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I got bad results the one time I tried using the add-in to create a
pdf. But I have never yet had a problem using "Print" to AdobePDF.
(It's just another printer driver under Ctrl-P.)

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

B E Brady wrote:
When printing Word 2007 document with an image to PDF the image
quality in the PDF is terrible. I have an all-text document with a
two-color institutional logo inserted.

This is true regardless of the image type inserted in the Word
document, including jpg, png, bmp and jpg cut then pasted as Windows
Enhanced Metafile.

It is true regardless of the PDF output setting, including Smallest,
Standard, High Quality Print, and experiments with custom print output
settings.

This only seems to happen when converting from Word to PDF, and not
from other programs to PDF.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this will be much appreciated. What
I'm aiming for is a small file size with a decent looking image.

Thanks!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Without knowing anything about 'the one time' you used it, it is difficult
to comment. The add-in should not detract from the quality of the PDF, but
does add functions that are not available directly from the 'printer' driver
alone e.g. the ability to include working links.

I can only assume that the version you used was compatible with your Word
version and fully updated.

B E Brady wrote:
When printing Word 2007 document with an image to PDF the image
quality in the PDF is terrible. I have an all-text document with a
two-color institutional logo inserted.

This is true regardless of the image type inserted in the Word
document, including jpg, png, bmp and jpg cut then pasted as
Windows Enhanced Metafile.

It is true regardless of the PDF output setting, including
Smallest, Standard, High Quality Print, and experiments with
custom print output settings.

This only seems to happen when converting from Word to PDF, and
not from other programs to PDF.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this will be much appreciated.
What I'm aiming for is a small file size with a decent looking
image.

Thanks!--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only Acrobat I've ever had is 9.2, from CS4. I don't remember what
the problem was, but it may have had to do with r-to-l scripts. Turns
out that InDesign CS4 can't handle r-to-l scripts, so one has to buy
separately a "Middle East" version (stand-alone, not part of a "Middle
East CS4"), which is available from one Arab and one Israeli
distributor in the US, and they've never heard of academic discounts
(which my publisher was able to use in providing CS4 to me).