Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
scarlett scarlett is offline

Default How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph

How do I re-position a paragraph above another?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Cut and paste.
or
Select the whole paragraph and drag it to the new position.

"Scarlett" wrote in message
How do I re-position a paragraph above another?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

And one more, which is probably not well known:

Put the cursor anywhere in the paragraph and press Alt+Shift+arrow key (up
or down).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Scarlett" wrote in message
How do I re-position a paragraph above another?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

But note that these shortcuts are safer in Outline view (because they might
lead to unexpected results if headings have been collapsed in Outline view,
even if you use the shortcuts in Print Layout view).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
And one more, which is probably not well known:

Put the cursor anywhere in the paragraph and press Alt+Shift+arrow key (up
or down).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

"Scarlett" wrote in message
How do I re-position a paragraph above another?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:31:21 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

But note that these shortcuts are safer in Outline view (because they might
lead to unexpected results if headings have been collapsed in Outline view,
even if you use the shortcuts in Print Layout view).

The Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow shortcut is probably one of the top three
shortcuts in Word. I bet I use it more than any other; even more than
Ctrl+C/X/V and Ctrl+B/I/U. I do not understand why Microsoft keeps
this such a secret.

As you point out, there can be some unexpected results.

1. If you don't always run with all levels expanded, then only use it
in Outline view. If you do, then you are fine.

2. In Outline view, it can be used to move whole sections. Just
collapse the outline level to the level you want to move and it will
take everything at a lower level with it. Just don't forget to
re-expand before leaving Outline view.

3. It cannot move text outside a table through a table. But it can
move a table through text. So, if you need to move a paragraph across
a table, move the table instead.

This tool should be documented and featured.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It might very well be documented, but Help is not very useful in recent
versions of Word. This is especially true when you search Help: many
irrelevant matches are returned. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:45:14 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

It might very well be documented, but Help is not very useful in recent
versions of Word. This is especially true when you search Help: many
irrelevant matches are returned. :-(

Care to take a crack at finding any official (let alone comprehensive
or even half-way complete) documentation?

Help was never excellent and it has steadily deteriorated to the point
that it is now mostly a perverse obstacle course, if not a torture
chamber.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Is it the shortcut you want documented or the use in outline view? If the
latter, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm. If the
former, there's a list (not very helpfully arranged) of all keyboard
shortcuts at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290938. A more helpful
categorization (similar to what is offered in Word 2003 Help) is at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211982 (this is very exhaustive and even
includes shortcuts that are not in Help).

http://word.mvps.org