Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

Default last place in document

I am using the new Word 2007 and in other versions I could open a document I
had been working on and press Shift F5 and it would take me to the last
position I was working on in the document. That command no longer works,
has it been replaced by something, or alternatively what command do I need
to assign to a key to get it to do that. It was something I used a lot, can
anyone help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Unfortunately, the command is not supported by the .docx (XML) format. If
you save your document in Word 97-2003 .doc format, you can use Shift+F5
upon opening.

http://word.mvps.org

"Margaret Upton" wrote in message
I am using the new Word 2007 and in other versions I could open a document
I had been working on and press Shift F5 and it would take me to the last
position I was working on in the document. That command no longer works,
has it been replaced by something, or alternatively what command do I need
to assign to a key to get it to do that. It was something I used a lot,
can anyone help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is no longer available - however it can be worked around.

With a handful of macros stored in the normal template, documents will
always open with the cursor at the place it occupied when the document was
last saved.. These intercept the save and saveas routines to insert a
bookmark at the cursor position and locate the cursor at that bookmark (if
present) when the document is next opened. If you already have macros with
these names, incorporate the code in those macros.

Sub FileSave()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, name:="OpenAt"
ActiveDocument.Save
End Sub

Sub FileSaveAs()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, name:="OpenAt"
Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen()
If ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists("OpenAt") = True Then
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("OpenAt").Select
End If
End Sub

"Margaret Upton" wrote in message
I am using the new Word 2007 and in other versions I could open a document
I had been working on and press Shift F5 and it would take me to the last
position I was working on in the document. That command no longer works,
has it been replaced by something, or alternatively what command do I need
to assign to a key to get it to do that. It was something I used a lot,
can anyone help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

Oh THANK YOU SO MUCH, that works brilliantly. I don't know what I would do
without you all giving your time to help folks like me, it is very much
appreciated. Thank you.

Margaret

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Fortunately, GoBack works fine when you open a Word 2010-created .docx file
in the upcoming Word 2010.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

So when we were told that this was not compatible with/possible in XML
format, it was all nonsense?

http://word.mvps.org

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If I recall correctly, what we were told was not that it was
incompatible but that there was no place in the 2007 file format for
it (as defined by the XML schema for that version), probably owing to
an oversight. Fixing the problem would have required changing the
schema, which in turn would have led to two different "versions" of
2007 document files because of a minor feature. That would not be a
good situation from Microsoft's point of view.

The 2010 file format has that place, and code to store the value
during a save, so it works. The schema is different from the 2007
schema to accommodate lots of feature changes, so the change is
acceptable to MS.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:24:40 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. But won't that mean that 2007 and
2010 will have different (and slightly incompatible) file formats?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

So when we were told that this was not compatible with/possible in XML
format, it was all nonsense?

http://word.mvps.org

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Different yes, but I haven't had any problems moving back & forth between
the two. What will be confusing, however, is that there are now two
different compatibility modes from Word 2010's viewpoint--Word 97-2003
documents and Word 2007 documents. A Word 2007 .docx file will stay in 2007
format when you save it. Once you've converted it to Word 2010 format,
however, I don't think Word 2010 can save it (or any other non-2007 file) in
2007-docx format. So, from the Save As dialog, 97-2003 is an option, and
..docx is an option, but 2007-docx is not an option.

On the other hand, I have not had any problems opening Word 2010 docx files
in Word 2007. GoBack position is lost, as might be some other 2010-specific
features, but Word 2007 doesn't seem to balk.

--

wrote:

So when we were told that this was not compatible with/possible in XML
format, it was all nonsense?

http://word.mvps.org

. ..