Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Confused Confused is offline

Default shortcut for doc changed or moved and doesnt work

I created a document in word. I went to get into it today to add some more
info and I couldnt find it where it should have been. I eventually found it
in Roaming but cannot open it because the message says The Item xxxxx that
this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no
longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?.

I don't know what to do and am anxious to get my work back.

HELP!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you created the document in Word (as opposed to having opened it as an
email attachment) and saved it, it should have been saved to the default
location (assuming you didn't navigate to a different location). If you're
using Word 2003 or earlier, choose Tools - Option - File Locations, and note
the location for Documents. That's where the document would have been stored
by default. (In Word 2007, the location can be found by clicking the Office
button - Word Options - Advanced tab - File Locations (scroll to near the
bottom of the Advanced settings) -- Documents location.

On the other hand, if you didn't explicitly save the document, then it
would've resided in a temporary location while you were working on it, but
the longer the time has elapsed between when you worked on it and now, the
less likely it is that different recovery techniques could get any of it
back.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible