Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
IS IS is offline

Default Drop down field options in forms

Can I have a blank free text option as one of the options in my drop down
list in a form? I want my form to have a list to choose from but if
necessary the form can be completed by the editors own choice not listed.
Word 2003 and 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, a dropdown form field can include a blank option (create it with a
space) but not a fillin one. For that you need a combo box, which is an
ActiveX component (not compatible with a protected form).

http://word.mvps.org

"Is" wrote in message
Can I have a blank free text option as one of the options in my drop down
list in a form? I want my form to have a list to choose from but if
necessary the form can be completed by the editors own choice not listed.
Word 2003 and 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No, but you could have an option such as 'Enter your own value" then you
could use a macro to detect that choice and offer an input box for the user
to enter a choice which would then replace that choice. Assuming the
dropdown field Dropdown1, put an item at the end of the dropdown list "Enter
your own value" then run the following macro on exit from that field

Sub ExitDD1()
Dim sChoice As String
Dim fDD As FormFields
Set fDD = ActiveDocument.FormFields
If InStr(1, fDD("Dropdown1").Result, "Enter your own value") Then
sChoice = InputBox("Enter your own")
With fDD("Dropdown1").DropDown.ListEntries
.Item("Enter your own value").Delete
.Add sChoice
fDD("Dropdown1").Result = sChoice
End With
End If
End Sub

This replaces the "Enter your own value" item with the input value and sets
that as the result.