Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Matthew C. Matthew C. is offline

Default problem with automatic quotation marks

Here's my problem: I've got a large document that's been pasted together
from multiple sources. I did a select all and changed the font to Adobe
Garamond Pro. It looks great, but in some places it automatically formats the
open and close quotation marks mixed up. In other places it displays
non-directional quotation marks like this: "quotation". I've manually
corrected most of the document with find/replace, but I can't automatically
replace all because it tries to for the wrong quotation mark...like it's
confused. For example, if there is a dash before the quotation mark, it
automatically tries to use another open-quotation mark.

Looking at the font table, it seems like Word manipulates the font
graphic...rotating and curving it based on whether it thinks it's an open or
close quotation.

Is there some kind of grammar/spell check rule that can find wrong or
orphaned quotation marks?