Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laurel

Default Revising a doc I inserted footnotes, how do I get the numbering?

Revising a document I had to insert footnotes but the number restarted at one
instead of continuing in sequence. It is showing footnotes 1, 2 and 3
instead of 10, 11 and 12. How do I get the numbering to be continual?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laurel

Default Revising a doc I inserted footnotes, how do I get the numberin

I don't know where the document was originally typed. It was sent to me via
email. I have corrected the problem by searching for & retyping all the
footnotes throughout the document. Thank you, I'd still like to know how to
do it without the retyping if it can be done for future reference.

"Laurel" wrote in message
Revising a document I had to insert footnotes but the number restarted at

one
instead of continuing in sequence. It is showing footnotes 1, 2 and 3
instead of 10, 11 and 12. How do I get the numbering to be continual?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You certainly don't have to retype; you can cut and paste the text from the
"fake" footnotes into new real ones.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Was the document imported from WordPerfect?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Laurel" wrote in message
Revising a document I had to insert footnotes but the number restarted

at
one
instead of continuing in sequence. It is showing footnotes 1, 2 and 3
instead of 10, 11 and 12. How do I get the numbering to be continual?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeanClerk

I found that I was able to enter new footnotes on an old wordperfect document
and that Word allowed me to select continuous or new numbering. You could
try inserting a new foot note and select continuous numbering and then delete
it, or cut and paste the first incorrectly numbered footnote with a new
footnote entry and delete the old.