Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wendy Farkas

Default How do I set up a letterhead template with a continuation page

Nice article, Suzanne. The point about setting 2nd page layout first, even
thought counter-intuitive, helped. Since I have produced a document with a
there is sufficient text to run to page 2 or not. Does this mean I need to
produce two templates, a one-page or a two-pager, or is there a
one-size-fits-all solution?

Does my question make sense?

Thanks,

Wendy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

"OnTrack" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in Word 2002 which will have our

letterhead
as normal on the 1st page but if the document runs to a second page I

would
like that to be as per a continuation sheet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The whole idea of using "Different first page" is to avoid use of a section
break. Section breaks just don't work for letters because if you start
typing at the beginning, you will just keep extending Section 1 unless you
intentionally start typing after the break, which most typists won't
instinctively do. Not to mention that, as you say, a template with a section
break will always produce two pages even when only one is needed. The only
case where section breaks make sense (sometimes) is when you have a
significant logical break, such as after a title page or TOC, and the second
section will always be needed.

To answer your specific question, no, you absolutely don't need two
templates. The solution I describe will work regardless of how many pages
the document has. Word will remember the Header/Footer to use when the
document exceeds a single page.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OnTrack" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in Word 2002 which will have our

letterhead
as normal on the 1st page but if the document runs to a second page I

would
like that to be as per a continuation sheet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Wendy,

The idea is that you have a single template that works no matter how many
pages you have. The continuation page header is there in the template even
if your document is only one page. You don't want the section break.

For more, take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document
where you want one header on the first page and a different header on other
pages. http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives
step-by-step instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

so
all may benefit.

"OnTrack" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in Word 2002 which will have our

letterhead
as normal on the 1st page but if the document runs to a second page I

would
like that to be as per a continuation sheet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wendy Farkas

To Suzanne and To Charles,

Thanks for the leads. What was fuzzy and frustrating on Friday worked
beautifully and correctly on a clear Monday morning.

"OnTrack" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a template in Word 2002 which will have our
letterhead
as normal on the 1st page but if the document runs to a second page I
would
like that to be as per a continuation sheet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad you got it sorted. It's a very simple (but powerful) concept once you
get the hang of it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Wendy Farkas" wrote in

message
news Nice article, Suzanne. The point about setting 2nd page layout

first, even
thought counter-intuitive, helped. Since I have produced a document

with a

whether

Macro not found W Microsoft Word Help 7 October 14th 05 05:20 AM
MS Word should support inheritence with regard to templates Ian Microsoft Word Help 3 October 6th 05 05:21 PM
CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 6 May 24th 05 04:38 PM
How do I print 1st page letterhead 2nd plain in Word mail merge Todd Mailmerge 1 December 23rd 04 12:39 AM
Letterhead as header in template yet only to appear on first page. wright Microsoft Word Help 4 December 22nd 04 11:51 PM