Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big George Big George is offline

Default Master and Sub-documents in Word 2007 B2TR

I posted and received replies, as listed below, in the Office Online
Discussion Group. Bob Buckland ?:-) suggested I post it here.

The thread is copied and edited below, so as to allow it to be more readable.

Question:
This is my first foray into Microsoft Beta and RC software.

An had intended to use the Outline form of Word to create the Master and Sub
Documents to write a personal book on a recent big trip, using links to .jpg
files around the words.

Although not expert in this with earlier versions of Word, I have carried
out such a process many times.

I have a master and about 20 sub documents. I built the structure last
night. The master showed all of the subdocuments and the page number they
start on correctly. Today, the format has been badly jumbled, though the
master document still has the correct table of contents; but the
sub-documents are a mess. Some are correct, some are an older version, and
the whole structure is messed up. All files were saved through together,
automatically, and the times on them are the same.

Do I have a known problem? Or is this a new one? maybe I will have to
return to Word 2003 for this task [I was going to carry out this activity in
2007 as a trial - can't afford too much effort if it is going to fail] (I'm
never short of words)

Reply 1:
Don't use master documents. They can get you into way too much trouble:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

Reply 2/Answer 1: From Bob Buckland...

There hasn't been, unfortunately, much work done on the Master Documents
feature itself, again, in the 2007 version of Word. It works for some folks
but for others tends to foster a bit of hair loss Patrick has provided a
link to an article on the perils of Master documents g), but some folks
have had more success in Word 2007 with this area.

When you say that you use this process many times are you saying that you
regularly used a Master & Subdocuments appoach to this in Word 2003 or that
this is a new approach you're taking?

Were all of the files created in Word 2007 or are they a mixture of Word
2003 and Word 2007 files? I'm not sure that I'm clear on what you're seeing
in the part where you mention that some are an 'older version'. Also, can you
describe how each of the subdocuments is structured?

Was the 'jumbling' something on screen only or when you printed from the
Outline view (be sure to use File(button) Print and not the Quickprint choice
when printing).

You may want to use the link below to post this in the Word
Documentmanagement newsgroup with the information above. One of the MVPs,
Steve Hudson, has reported some success with a procedure he uses for Master
Documents. (when posting in the other group you may also want to mention that
you've seen the article Patrick linked to g)

My Response 1:

Bob

Older version means an earlier version of the document in Word 2007.

All the work has been done in Word 2007 - Beta first, then B2TR and finally,
from scratch in 2007 B2TR

No other versions of Office have been used for this activity.

So far, there is nothing confidential in the "book", so look out
Microsoft.....

My Next Response (the most recent posting) 2:

I went all the way back to the start. I completed the process of adding the
sub-documents, and forced an update of the Table of Contents (built on style
Heading 1) . It gave the correct values for page numbers. It did take
rather a lot of time to get the Section Break (Next Page) in the correct
places, and eliminate Section Break (Continuous) as I wanted each "chapter"
to start on a new page.

Made a full backup of the folder (mistake - believe it or not) after I
closed down the complex system.

Woops - Master Document fell over at 10 pages and 6 sections, though earlier
tonight, both values were greater.

My Master Document contained mainly near empty sub-documents and they seem
OK. There are 22 subdocuments, and they all seemed to be in the Master on
Print View just before saving for the last time.

This MAY be the approximate same point that I encountered the problem first
time through.

I am feeling rather disillusioned with this. Earlier I suggested that I had
used the technique before - many times with Word 2000, XP and 2003, and maybe
even earlier (can't remember that long ago)

To be frank, my aim was to prepare a book on my recent trip to Canada; and I
intended to provide it on CD. Maybe I will use Dreamweaver and make an
interactive CD instead. It may be easier, or at least more stable, and since
that technology is widespread, it may end up being the way I should go.

Any more thoughts?

I will post to Microsoft.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Are all your documents in the 97-2003 Word file format (doc) or in the
2007 file format (docx)? Or do you have a mix of those?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Big George" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big George Big George is offline

Patrick (=Reply 1 below)

This supposed to have been posted to elsewhere as suggested by Bob. Did I
get that wrong?

I started from SCRATCH again, including getting rid of Building Blocks.
Brand new documents in B2TR. Saving and exiting part way through caused NO
corruption. It was only on the final save and exit that something went wrong
(Full expanded view) but such was not apparent. The status line at the
bottom of the screen flashed a significant number of "Word is saving...."
sub-document names. It was not possible to count them (fast 64-bit
processor) but most of the expected 22 names seemed to have flashed at me.

And I do not do any editing of sub-documents from the master document,
except for forcing the correct Section Breaks in Print View

Regards

Big George

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Are all your documents in the 97-2003 Word file format (doc) or in the
2007 file format (docx)? Or do you have a mix of those?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Big George" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

This supposed to have been posted to elsewhere as suggested by Bob.
Did I
get that wrong?

Nope You posted it in the correct place. I just happen to read the
Word newsgroup as well

I started from SCRATCH again, including getting rid of Building Blocks.
Brand new documents in B2TR. Saving and exiting part way through caused NO
corruption. It was only on the final save and exit that something went wrong
(Full expanded view) but such was not apparent. The status line at the
bottom of the screen flashed a significant number of "Word is saving...."
sub-document names. It was not possible to count them (fast 64-bit
processor) but most of the expected 22 names seemed to have flashed at me.

And I do not do any editing of sub-documents from the master document,
except for forcing the correct Section Breaks in Print View

Again, are all your documents in the doc file format or in the docx file
format? You haven't answered that question yet (even when Bob asked
about it). It's not so much about which version of Word you used to edit
them, it is more about in what version of the Word file format did you
save the files.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Are all your documents in the 97-2003 Word file format (doc) or in the
2007 file format (docx)? Or do you have a mix of those?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Big George" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big George Big George is offline

Good, correct location

I saved all documents in the default format (.docx) as I figured that there
was no point introducing additional variables. Afterall, I was not
interested in compatability with Word 2003 (which we both know is a different
saving option in B2TR). I was testing how different 2007 looks like being,
and figured - why not do it by creating something I wanted.

Big George