Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Claud Claud is offline

Default Calculation in a table in a protected form

Hello,

What do I need to do to have a table update values in a protected form? I
set the formulas in the "Text Form Field" properties, but it doesn't seem to
update the values.

I'm trying something simple, i.e., multiply the "Qty" by the "Price"
columns and show the result in the "Total Cost".

Appreciate your help.
--
Claud

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Claud Claud is offline

Thank you so much Suzanne. I only had the "calculate on exit" property set
for the "Total cost" field and didn't realize that all the fields referenced
in the formula (Qty and Price) had to have it enabled also.

Thanks was so helpful!

Thanks again.

--
Claud

"Claud" wrote in message
Hello,

What do I need to do to have a table update values in a protected form? I
set the formulas in the "Text Form Field" properties, but it doesn't seem

update the values.

I'm trying something simple, i.e., multiply the "Qty" by the "Price"
columns and show the result in the "Total Cost".

Appreciate your help.
--
Claud

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Calculate on exit" is a misleading term; "update on exit" would be more
accurate, since many of the uses of the field have nothing to do with
calculation, as when there is a REF field referring to the bookmark of a
text form field; checking "Calculate on exit" ensures that the REF field
updates automatically.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have "Calculate on exit" checked in the Form Field Options for

every
field that contributes to the calculated field?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Claud" wrote in message
Hello,

What do I need to do to have a table update values in a protected

form? I
set the formulas in the "Text Form Field" properties, but it doesn't

seem
update the values.

I'm trying something simple, i.e., multiply the "Qty" by the "Price"
columns and show the result in the "Total Cost".

Appreciate your help.
--
Claud

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Claud Claud is offline

You're right about ït being misleading. Also, I couldn't find any reference
to that using Help.

Still on the subject of calculating formulas in a Word Table, is there any
way we can find the cell reference (A1, B1, C1 etc.)? When creating forms,
you merge and split cells all the time and you lose track of the columns and
rows.

Thanks again.

--
Claud