Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CurlyK CurlyK is offline

Default Problems with table formatting in Word 2003

I am having a problem when pasting rows into an existing table. Instead of
being incorporated into the existing table, and being able to select the
whole table, Word treats the insertion as a separate table, so I cannot
format the whole thing. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know how to make
it stop dfoing it. earlier versions of Word don't do that. Can anyone help???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dawn Crosier, MVP Dawn Crosier, MVP is offline

A trick I try is make sure that there is a paragraph marker between the
table that is there and where you are pasting your two new rows. Then
delete the paragraph marker, and the two tables should join together into
one. (Be sure you turn on your hidden characters so you can see what is
between your tables.)

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"CurlyK" wrote in message
I am having a problem when pasting rows into an existing table. Instead of
being incorporated into the existing table, and being able to select the
whole table, Word treats the insertion as a separate table, so I cannot
format the whole thing. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know how to
make
it stop dfoing it. earlier versions of Word don't do that. Can anyone
help???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CurlyK CurlyK is offline

Thanks Dawn. I have already tried that, and I always have my hidden
characters on (it makes formatting so much easier). Unfortunately, Word 2003
still treats the inserted rows like a separate table, so instead of one
table, I end up with three tables - the rows before the inserted rows, the
inserted rows and the rows after the inserted rows! Do you have this problem
with this version? The only time this has happened is since I have started
using Word 2003. I would appreciate any further advice you can give.

"CurlyK" wrote in message
I am having a problem when pasting rows into an existing table. Instead of
being incorporated into the existing table, and being able to select the
whole table, Word treats the insertion as a separate table, so I cannot
format the whole thing. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know how to
make
it stop dfoing it. earlier versions of Word don't do that. Can anyone
help???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What happens when you try to delete the paragraph mark(s) between
tables?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CurlyK" wrote in message
I am having a problem when pasting rows into an existing table.

Instead of
being incorporated into the existing table, and being able to

select the
whole table, Word treats the insertion as a separate table, so I

cannot
format the whole thing. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know

how to
make
it stop dfoing it. earlier versions of Word don't do that. Can

anyone
help???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CurlyK CurlyK is offline

The table joins together, but there is a heavy line between the original rows
and the new rows that have been inserted, above and below. So it looks like
one table but when I go to format the whole table, I cannot select the whole
table. Likewise if I want to change column size - the rows above the
insertion are treated like a separate table, as are the inserted rows, and
the original rows beneath the insertion.

"CurlyK" wrote in message
I am having a problem when pasting rows into an existing table.

Instead of
being incorporated into the existing table, and being able to

select the
whole table, Word treats the insertion as a separate table, so I

cannot
format the whole thing. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know

how to
make
it stop dfoing it. earlier versions of Word don't do that. Can

anyone
help???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you don't have the Paste Options button enabled, enable it and experiment
with the various options you get for pasting in tables. Maybe you can find a
choice that will give a better result.