Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
troy stud troy stud is offline

Default form fileds view in word 2003

How do I get a drop down menu to appear with words added in my forms field.
Instead I get the forms field properties box to display with different
options. I only want to click on the field of change and have a drop down
menue with the items I've added and not the whole properties box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You have to protect the document. To protect the document without
setting a password, you can click the Protect Form icon on the Forms
toolbar.

If you want to set a password or protect only certain sections, do the
following (from Word Help):

1. On the Tools menu, click Protect Document.
2. In the Protect Document task pane, under Editing restrictions,
select the Allow only this type of editing in the document check box,
and then click Filling in forms in the list of editing restrictions.
3. To protect only parts of a form from accidental changes, click
Select sections, and then clear the check boxes of the sections you
don't want to protect.
Note To protect only parts of a form from accidental changes, those
parts must be in separate sections (on the Insert menu, click Break to
create section breaks).
4. Click Yes, Start Enforcing Protection.
5. To assign a password to the form so that others don't
accidentally change the form's display content, type a password in the
Enter new password (optional) box, and then confirm the password.
Users who don't know the password can still enter information in the
form fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"troy stud" wrote in message
How do I get a drop down menu to appear with words added in my forms

field.
Instead I get the forms field properties box to display with

different
options. I only want to click on the field of change and have a drop

down
menue with the items I've added and not the whole properties box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
troy stud troy stud is offline

So this certain document was protected? The user that wanted to do changes to
this particular document thought there should be a drop down menu instead of
the whole properties box that pops up.
Thanx

"troy stud" wrote in message
How do I get a drop down menu to appear with words added in my forms

field.
Instead I get the forms field properties box to display with

different
options. I only want to click on the field of change and have a drop

down
menue with the items I've added and not the whole properties box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the document is protected for forms, a dropdown menu is what you will get
for a Drop Down List form field. The fact that the properties (Form Field
Options) dialog opens is a clear indication that the document is *not*
protected.

"troy stud" wrote in message
How do I get a drop down menu to appear with words added in my forms

field.
Instead I get the forms field properties box to display with

different
options. I only want to click on the field of change and have a drop

down
menue with the items I've added and not the whole properties box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
troy stud troy stud is offline

I understand what you guys are saying but is this a protected issue?. She
wants to make changes to this document that she got from this other person
and she doesn't want the properties pop up to show, just your typical drop
down menu right on or next to the word's she wants to change, drop down list.
This doesnt sound like a document protection issues. More like some sort of
formatting issue.
Thanx

"troy stud" wrote in message
How do I get a drop down menu to appear with words added in my forms
field.
Instead I get the forms field properties box to display with
different
options. I only want to click on the field of change and have a drop
down
menue with the items I've added and not the whole properties box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Okay, let's back up. There are two ways to work on a form. You can either
fill it in when it's protected, or you can edit it when it's not. When it's
not protected, any portion of the document can be edited. The ordinary text
can be edited as usual, but the form fields can be edited only by using the
Form Field Options dialog, with the exception that the shortcut menus and
buttons on the Formatting toolbar should function normally to apply font and
paragraph formatting if you just select the form field by dragging the mouse
and right-click or click on a toolbar button. If you double-click on the
form field, then the Options dialog will open.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the document is protected for forms, a dropdown menu is what you will

get
for a Drop Down List form field. The fact that the properties (Form

Field
Options) dialog opens is a clear indication that the document is *not*
protected.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.