Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Lee Mary Lee is offline

Default Graphic Element for Chapter Head

I'm creating a template in Word 2003. I want to use a small graphic element
on the right margin of the chapter heads (Heading 1). No problem - just set a
right tab and insert the appropriate symbol - except I don't want it in my
header when I have StyleRef pick it up, and I don't really want it in my TOC,
either. Next I created a drawing object that serves my purpose but I want to
anchor it on that heading - and it would be nice to see it, too. Print
preview doesn't always show it when it is there. I have to hit a key or
something for it to show up. My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and I
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

I've been doing some reading but have not found the answer yet. A heading
somewhere that says "working with anchors" tells me how to unlink them, but
not how to link one to a header (or anywhere else for that matter) in the
first place.

Thanks!
--
Mary Lee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and I
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

Do they need to *edit* the doc?, that's the question. If the answer is "No",
why not give them a PDF instead of a 'live' Word doc? Other comments
inserted in line:

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
I'm creating a template in Word 2003. I want to use a small graphic
element
on the right margin of the chapter heads (Heading 1). No problem - just
set a
right tab and insert the appropriate symbol - except I don't want it in my
header when I have StyleRef pick it up, and I don't really want it in my
TOC,
either.

Is this "symbol" a graphic object or an actual character (as in
InsertSymbol = T)?

If a character, you can cut it, then use EditPaste Special to paste it back
in as an Enhanced Metafile. It then becomes a graphic object which isn't a
part of the Heading as long as you set its Layout Wrapping Style to
something other than In Line with Text. (This also applies if the "symbol"
is already a graphic object.) I'd suggest using "Behind Text". You'll
probably need to use the Crop Tool on the Picture toolbar to reduce the size
of the bounding box created around the graphic, and you won't need the Tab
in your heading. If you distribute as a Word file, however, each graphic
will be movable. Also see the point further on about 'Anchors'.

Next I created a drawing object that serves my purpose but I want to
anchor it on that heading - and it would be nice to see it, too. Print
preview doesn't always show it when it is there. I have to hit a key or
something for it to show up. My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

The 'missing' graphic could be that you have Drawing Objects unchecked in
your Print Options & you've stumbled on a keystroke to toggle it on - but I
sure can't find one So, more likely, it is an issue with the driver for
your display adapter needing to be updated. Possibly a printer issue as
well.

BTW - Is this the same "graphic" referred to above?

I've been doing some reading but have not found the answer yet. A heading
somewhere that says "working with anchors" tells me how to unlink them,
but
not how to link one to a header (or anywhere else for that matter) in the
first place.

All objects are anchored in some way - that's how Word works. It's kinda
like they're foreign bodies in the blood stream (i.e., text flow). If the
Layout - Wrapping mentioned above is set to In Line With Text it is
"anchored" into the text line just like any other character. When any other
style of wrapping is applied the object becomes free-floating, but is still
anchored to a paragraph - that's what the anchor symbol at the beginning of
a para represents, although the graphic itself can be anywhere on the same
page. If the anchor is not "Locked" *it* can be moved to a different para to
anchor its graphic to that para, but the graphic isn't locked in any way. If
the anchor *is* "Locked" it can no longer be dragged and the graphic remains
anchored to the same para. Either way the graphic will always remain on the
same page as the para to which it is anchored.

Thanks!
--
Mary Lee

As you can tell, keeping objects in precise locations in an *editable* Word
doc is an ongoing challenge - especially if handled by multiple users who
may or may not understand the principles behind the scenes. All the more
reason to consider my first suggestion re PDF 8-)
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Lee Mary Lee is offline

"CyberTaz" wrote:

My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and I
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

Do they need to *edit* the doc?, that's the question. If the answer is "No",
why not give them a PDF instead of a 'live' Word doc? Other comments
inserted in line:

No, they won't need to edit at all, but the project manager doesn't want to
put it into PDF because he believe that once I am done with it, his engineers
will be able to maintain it. We'll see, but it's not my decision.

Is this "symbol" a graphic object or an actual character (as in
InsertSymbol = T)?

It's just a left-facing triangle - like an arrow tip. It's in the symbol
fonts, but I'll do whatever works.

If a character, you can cut it, then use EditPaste Special to paste it back
in as an Enhanced Metafile.

I worked with your suggestions, and that has possibilities, except that it
changed my color to black.

Next I created a drawing object that serves my purpose but I want to
anchor it on that heading - and it would be nice to see it, too. Print
preview doesn't always show it when it is there. I have to hit a key or
something for it to show up. My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print, and
I want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

The 'missing' graphic could be that you have Drawing Objects unchecked in
your Print Options...

Nope - it's checked!

... & you've stumbled on a keystroke to toggle it on - but I sure can't find one

I can go anywhere on the page and hit any key and it shows up.

So, more likely, it is an issue with the driver for your display adapter needing to be updated. Possibly a printer issue as well.

If that's the case, there is even a greater possibility that when it gets
out there in the field it won't work right on their computers, either. If I
can't make it foolproof, I'll just have to skip it.

BTW - Is this the same "graphic" referred to above?

Yes - two different attempts to accomplish the same objective.

All objects are anchored in some way - that's how Word works. It's kinda
like they're foreign bodies in the blood stream (i.e., text flow). If the
Layout - Wrapping mentioned above is set to In Line With Text it is
"anchored" into the text line just like any other character.

Setting it inline with text popped it over to the left margin. I've gone
ahead and set it behind text for now.

When any other style of wrapping is applied the object becomes free-floating,
but is still anchored to a paragraph - that's what the anchor symbol at the
beginning of a para represents, although the graphic itself can be anywhere on
the same page.

There is not anchor symbol anywhere on the page. I have my codes turned on
and the all of the print and web layout options are checked in the view tab.

If the anchor is not "Locked" *it* can be moved to a different
para to anchor its graphic to that para, but the graphic isn't locked in any way. If
the anchor *is* "Locked" it can no longer be dragged and the graphic remains
anchored to the same para. Either way the graphic will always remain on the
same page as the para to which it is anchored.

How do I lock it?

As you can tell, keeping objects in precise locations in an *editable* Word
doc is an ongoing challenge - especially if handled by multiple users who
may or may not understand the principles behind the scenes. All the more
reason to consider my first suggestion re PDF 8-)

I wish! We are not done yet, so perhaps I can convince the project manager
that keeping it in Word is not such a great idea. I'll be making some
suggestions for sure!

Thanks again,
Mary Lee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

In Line once again:
"Mary Lee" wrote in message

"CyberTaz" wrote:

My readers are going to be scrolling through
this document on their computers more often than reading it in print,
and I
want that graphic to show up! Any ideas?

Do they need to *edit* the doc?, that's the question. If the answer is
"No",
why not give them a PDF instead of a 'live' Word doc? Other comments
inserted in line:

No, they won't need to edit at all, but the project manager doesn't want
put it into PDF because he believe that once I am done with it, his
engineers
will be able to maintain it. We'll see, but it's not my decision.

Too bad about management, but I'm sur he/she will have a change of attitude

Is this "symbol" a graphic object or an actual character (as in
InsertSymbol = T)?

It's just a left-facing triangle - like an arrow tip. It's in the symbol
fonts, but I'll do whatever works.

If a character, you can cut it, then use EditPaste Special to paste it
back
in as an Enhanced Metafile.

I worked with your suggestions, and that has possibilities, except that it
changed my color to black.

It shouldn't - works fine here doing this:

Click next to the symbol, then Shift+Arrow to select
Change font color, then Cut
Go to EditPaste Special - Picture (Enhanced Metafile)

If still no success with color, right-click the triangle & choose Edit
Picture & click Yes to convert to a drawing object. The character will be in
a box of its own within other boxes. Drag it away from the others - they can
then be deleted. Tip: You might want to do this in a blank doc and/or use
the Select Objects tool (white arrow) on the Drawing Toolbar, then paste
back into the main doc. You'll also still be able to change the color again
by selecting it & using the Font Color button.

[...]

That's more ammunition for your PDF arsenal - if all users don't have the
same printer, driver, video & fonts it will be impossible to control the
appearance & text flow.

BTW - Is this the same "graphic" referred to above?

Yes - two different attempts to accomplish the same objective.

All objects are anchored in some way - that's how Word works. It's kinda
like they're foreign bodies in the blood stream (i.e., text flow). If the
Layout - Wrapping mentioned above is set to In Line With Text it is
"anchored" into the text line just like any other character.

Setting it inline with text popped it over to the left margin. I've gone
ahead and set it behind text for now.

And that's how you want to leave it. Otherwise it will show up in the header
& TOC because it will be embedded in the text line as a character... In Line
With Text it behaves as text.

When any other style of wrapping is applied the object becomes
free-floating,
but is still anchored to a paragraph - that's what the anchor symbol at
the
beginning of a para represents, although the graphic itself can be
anywhere on
the same page.

There is not anchor symbol anywhere on the page. I have my codes turned on
and the all of the print and web layout options are checked in the view
tab.

The anchor symbol only displays if you select the object to which it
pertains while the NonPrinting characters are turned on. IOW, they don't
show automatically the way para marks, spaces & tabs do.

If the anchor is not "Locked" *it* can be moved to a different
para to anchor its graphic to that para, but the graphic isn't locked in
any way. If
the anchor *is* "Locked" it can no longer be dragged and the graphic
remains
anchored to the same para. Either way the graphic will always remain on
the
same page as the para to which it is anchored.

How do I lock it?

Right-Click the object, select Format Object (may read as Format AutoShape,
Format Picture, or whatever). In the dialog there is a checkbox on the
Layout [Advanced] page along with a number of other settings. Use the Help
dialog for more info on them.

As you can tell, keeping objects in precise locations in an *editable*
Word
doc is an ongoing challenge - especially if handled by multiple users who
may or may not understand the principles behind the scenes. All the more
reason to consider my first suggestion re PDF 8-)

I wish! We are not done yet, so perhaps I can convince the project
manager
that keeping it in Word is not such a great idea. I'll be making some
suggestions for sure!

Thanks again,
Mary Lee

-------------
Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Lee Mary Lee is offline

It shouldn't - works fine here doing this:

Click next to the symbol, then Shift+Arrow to select
Change font color, then Cut
Go to EditPaste Special - Picture (Enhanced Metafile)

Got it! This looks like the best option. It would be great if I could
automate it so that I could have the graphic element on the page for all
Heading 1s, but leave it off the TOC and the headers. This way I have to crop
it for each chapter heading, but there aren't that many. (It's just another
thing the engineers won't know how to do later if they have to add a chapter.
I think the manager is trying hard to get the writing part of this project
out of his area of responsibility and back into the writing group.)

If still no success with color, right-click the triangle & choose Edit
Picture & click Yes to convert to a drawing object. The character will be in
a box of its own within other boxes. Drag it away from the others - they can
then be deleted. Tip: You might want to do this in a blank doc and/or use
the Select Objects tool (white arrow) on the Drawing Toolbar, then paste
back into the main doc. You'll also still be able to change the color again
by selecting it & using the Font Color button.

You've lost me here - neither with the autoshape nor with the symbol do I
get anything that says "edit" on a right click.

Right-Click the object, select Format Object (may read as Format AutoShape,
Format Picture, or whatever). In the dialog there is a checkbox on the
Layout [Advanced] page along with a number of other settings. Use the Help
dialog for more info on them.

Found it!

As you can tell, keeping objects in precise locations in an *editable*
Word
doc is an ongoing challenge - especially if handled by multiple users who
may or may not understand the principles behind the scenes. All the more
reason to consider my first suggestion re PDF 8-)

Hope you don't mind - I quoted you some! )

Thanks again,
Mary Lee