Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phillip Phillip is offline

Default Word 2007 - Master Document - Sub Documents

Does Word 2007 support linking to sub documents (other Word Docs) and
displaying their text in the master document?

I am creating an XML file for Word 2003 that includes a subDoc link to a
seperate Word document. When I open this in Word 2003 it will prompt me to
load the subDoc showing the contents of the file. When I try to open this
same file in Word 2007 I have only been able to get a link to the document,
not the contents.

I have hunted and pecked around the new menus and can not find any way to
even do this in Word 2007, and can not find any info in the help searching
for 'Master Document' (Which is the search term I use in Word 2003 help to
find some info on it) or other terms I can think of.

So my question is has the functionality been dropped? Or is it just called
something else now? If it has been dropped then I know why my files open
differently, but if it should still be there then I know I am probably doing
something else wrong.

Thanks for any help or pointers to info
Phillip
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UGhpbGxpcA==?=,

Does Word 2007 support linking to sub documents (other Word Docs) and
displaying their text in the master document?

Yes, the same functionality is still there in Word 2007. Go to the OUTLINE
view, then click the "Show Document" button in the Master Document group. That
will display the tools for working with subdocuments.

If all you want to do is view the sub documents, then click "Expand
Subdocuments".

You can add one or both of these buttons to the QAT, if you wish, by
right-clicking the button and choosing "Add to Quick Access Toolbar".

I am creating an XML file for Word 2003 that includes a subDoc link to a
seperate Word document. When I open this in Word 2003 it will prompt me to
load the subDoc showing the contents of the file. When I try to open this
same file in Word 2007 I have only been able to get a link to the document,
not the contents.

I have hunted and pecked around the new menus and can not find any way to
even do this in Word 2007, and can not find any info in the help searching
for 'Master Document' (Which is the search term I use in Word 2003 help to
find some info on it) or other terms I can think of.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org