Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toph Toph is offline

Default How do I make my own template in Word 2007?

In Word 2003 I could just save it as a template in the default template
folder and it would show up under My Templates (or whatever it's called). In
2007, though, I don't know how to get it to show up there. Any tips?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:16:02 -0700, Toph
wrote:

In Word 2003 I could just save it as a template in the default template
folder and it would show up under My Templates (or whatever it's called). In
2007, though, I don't know how to get it to show up there. Any tips?

The principle is exactly the same in 2007: You save the template in
the templates folder (identified as the User Templates location in the
options dialog), and then it will be visible in the File New dialog.

What's different is that in 2007, for no apparent reason, the File
Save As dialog no longer switches automatically to the User Templates
folder when you set the file type to Word Template (*.dotx) or
Macro-Enabled Template (*.dotm). You have to choose that folder
manually.

To make this easier for yourself, add the User Templates folder to the
list of quick-access locations on the left side of the Save As dialog:

- First be sure you know where the folder is. By default it's
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\
Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
but it could have been changed. To verify, click Office button
Word Options Advanced, scroll to the bottom, and click the File
Locations button; select User Templates; click the Modify button;
and open the dropdown at the top to see the full path. Cancel to
avoid changing anything.

- Open the File Save As dialog. Navigate to the User Templates
folder. Right-click a blank spot in the left-hand pane and choose
"Add 'Templates'" (or whatever folder you're adding to the list).

Files added to the Workgroup Templates location (which can be anywhere
on your PC or on a network) will also appear in the File New dialog.

Also, you can use Windows Explorer to move templates that you've
already saved in other folders to the User Templates location, and
then they'll appear in the File New dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toph Toph is offline

Ah. Got it now.

I had a feeling it was an issue along those lines, but couldn't find the
proper Templates folder and thought maybe I was dealing with something else.

Thanks for the help.